1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting plow trucks ready and Murphy shows up

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by green frog, Nov 2, 2009.

1. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Trying to get leaf clean ups done along with last cuts but mother natures said no alot this week. So we started getting plow trucks ready and wtf. First 1995 F250 got oxygen sensor,tps sensor, idle contral valve, speed sensor, rear drums and pads, both emergency brake cables, bye passed rear abs because pedal sucked all to the tune of $1400. Second 1995 F250 is getting passanger exhaust manifold, oil pan, tranny lines, tune up and set of tires. Im guessing another $1500. Some one invite Murphy over for a beer and keep him drunk all winter please.
  2. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I'm at a loss for words. I never have the problems you mentioned and have older trucks must be an operator error...?
  3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

WHAT? :eek: :confused: Seriously? I see this kind of crap all the time. I don't see operator error causing sensors and lines to go junk, do you? Brakes, yeah sure, it could be abuse, or it could be just that time. I think your purplebou to conclusions or just reflecting.
  4. irlandscaper

irlandscaper Member

Do they sit a lot? My 92 f250 sat for 5 years before I bought it and I have had to replace all that and then some. Sensors dont seem to do well after being idle like that, u joints either:dizzy:
  5. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Maybe his trucks sit in a flood all season..?
    Or he bought lemons off the lot

Lines do go bad, but usually comes with age, brakes is drivers discretion ...
  6. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Both trucks were used all summer. The rear brakes never made a noise and the pedle was always a little soft. So I think the abs went a while ago. The truck with the rear brakes runs awesome now but the first time I stepped on the brake I almost hit my head on the windshield. I got a break on the other truck, my 4wd guy offered free labor for the oil pan, exhaust manifold, and tranny lines if I cut up a load of wood. So far about 6hrs cutting and almost 3/4 done.
  7. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

This is why when you bid a job, you have to remember that you will have expenses all year long
  8. fnmlandscape

fnmlandscape Junior Member
    from mass

Unfortunitly Murphy has been hanging out with me this week had 91 plow truck running last week now no power to fuel pumps I just did E-brake cables and rear brakes two weeks ago cant wait to hopefully make enough to get new truck
  9. chrisby316

chrisby316 Senior Member

the truck is 15 years old, i think that is just the cost of maintenance. i think murphy has bigger issues
  10. fnmlandscape

fnmlandscape Junior Member
    from mass

That is true not to mention the previous owner didn't take the best care of it
  11. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Murphy update. Motor mount had to be cut off since bolt was spinning in mount. Busted a brake line but was so rusted was only a matter of time. Oil pans bolts were hammered, so I go to the dealer and thet only sell them bye each. $13.79 a bolt wtf and I need 22. The parts guy was awesome as he laughed at the price. He gave me the measurements and got stainless from hectors for $14. Its all apart so hopefully nothing breaks going back together. But the front rotors need to be done before the plow goes on.
  12. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Salt is a killer on my trucks. I have a 94 and a 95 chevy and I drop close to $1k before each season for misc repairs. There is always a brake line, transline, or fuel line that needs fixed. Or a stuck caliper here or there.
    The oil pan on one of them is about to rust thru.
    It's not a mater of if they break, it's a matter of when.
    I am glad to say I have never had a break down during plowing. I am pretty proactive on replacing something if it looks or operates marginally.