1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting plow ready for season

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by soc, Oct 17, 2009.

1. soc

soc Junior Member
    from ny

I spent some time today getting my 1 yr old boss V ready for this winter. I greased the center pin, checked the oil, greased the skid shoe pins ( they were rusted fast opps should have done that when i put it away), put a little grease on the hitch pins - anything I miss????? Any other spots to grease or oil - I don;t plow alot with it but want it to last. Thanks

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Spray all the nuts and bolts and pivot points down with Fluid Film. My Fisher V is going on its 3rd season, a friend has the same plow, bought at the same time. Mine still looks likes its new, all the bolts are still shinny new :D His plow looks its age, all bolts, pins and chain are all rusty. There must be something to that Fluid Film bandwagon,lol GREAT STUFF!

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You covered 90% of it on the first try so congrats are in order there. :nod:

In addition to what you've done also go over EVERY bolt and fastener on both the plow and the mount checking for proper torque. Also pull the pump cover and give all the electrical connections a going over. Then give them all a good shot of FF before reinstalling the cover.

4. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

Does Boss recommend a fluid change anually? I always do on my Fisher, just to get out as much condensation from the reservoir as possible.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes just as all the manufactures do.

6. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

Thats what I figured, but nobody mentioned it yet. The OP said he checked the fluid. That's why I asked.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Although I don't condone frequent fluid changes the Boss's with their sealed from the weather pumps will go two seasons easy before a fluid change should be done. Boss's genuine fluid is also top notch and doesn't suffer from breakdown as fast as many of the fluid out there.

8. soc

soc Junior Member
    from ny

I didn;t change the fluid - only added less than a cup full to top it off - I didn;t think after 1 season it needed to be changed , and didn;t see anything on BOSS site recommending fluid changes . Do i need to do anything at the pivot points besides trying to get some FF down in there (the angle cylinder atachment pivots and the trip pivot (which is hard to see) - why don;t they put grease fittings on them????? - would be better than metal on metal. As much as I plow (havn;t even worn the cutting edge to an angle yet) probably would take 50 yrs to wear through the piviots but still.........

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Synthetic gear lube works well on the pivot points once or twice a season depending on how much plowing you actually do. It will penetrate those hard to access areas and provide excellent lubrication without the need for disassembly.

10. StormRanger

StormRanger Member
    from NorEast

I can recommend, instead of going through 5 cans of FF, go buy the 1gal can, get a chip brush, and coat it. Thats what I did and it lasts through the season

11. testimonial
    I have a 9+yr old plow that needed sand/prime/paint every year ---
    until these guys got me on Fluid Film
    Two years of spraying the plow early and maybe twice during the season and I have not painted
    it since...
    dang is that good stuff ??
    tc