1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting Plow Guide Sticks Off

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by DeereFarmer, Dec 21, 2009.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Well my old guide sticks (dummie sticks or whatever you call them) have taken a beating over the past few years and now it's time to replace them. I tried to loosen them with a fixed wrench and of course the won't turn. I'd torch or cut the bolts off but I just repainted the plow in the fall and don't want to mess it up too bad. There seems to be no way to get an impact on them. What I was thiing of doing was cutting the stick off with a cut off wheel and then getting an impact gun on the top bolt. Any other ideas?
  2. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

you could try using a nut splitter on the top nut
  3. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

cut it at the base on the top then no impact required try PB blaster pen oil first that works great
  4. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Penetrating oil works great!
  5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Cut the whole thing off with the cut off.
  6. padec21

padec21 Member
    from ct

i used a dremel with a cut off wheell to split the nut on mine. worked great.
  7. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Thanks guys. Out of all these idea I'm sure I can get one to work.
  8. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Used a cut off here, worked just fine.