1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting no power out of solenoid

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mikem503, Jan 19, 2012.

1. mikem503

mikem503 Junior Member

I have a western Uni mount. Everything worked fine last month when I put the plow on and tested for the season. Snow predicted so I put the plow on, raised it up, turned the truck around and that was that. Nothing.

I thought the solenoid went so I changed it. Nothing. I get power to the pump itself when I jump it. I get the light on the controller but the up down side to side functions do not even make a sound.

I have searched on here and came up with a few schematics but they all have the large joystick mine is the small toggle.

I am pretty sure it is hooked up correct. I am now on my 3rd solenoid so I have kinda ruled that out.
    Is there a way to check to see if the controller is bad,

Can I check the solenoid without the controller hooked to it so I can determine if I have a working solenoid?

The lights (9 pin) is hooked and the inside light on controller only comes on when hooked.Can there be a short in that wire? The lights on plow do not come on but never have. I do not need them it worked last year that way.

Thanks I am in a real pickle.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/21936_121704.pdf
    thats the wiring diag.
    more than likely your solenoind is ok,,,,,,seems like your not getting a signal to the sol.
    you can ck the sol. probe the 2 small terminals,,1 should be gnd 1 should be pwr. find which is which,,then use a jumper wire for the pwr. unhook the big pwr wire coming out tho.
    now if your controller isnt working,,,the light dosent light up.?? ck your pwr supply to the controller
    make sure your gnds are GREAT ck at the battery,,grill plug,,,,plow motor,,,

3. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

damn, not sure what to tell ya other than good luck. I have a sno-way. Mine did the same thing, turned out to be the "brain" as I call it, or the black box. $532 later, the plow works.

4. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like a motor or bad connection to the motor get your jumper cables out and jump it from your batt to the motor if you nothing you got a bad motor

5. mikem503

mikem503 Junior Member

I have plow motor working.

you can ck the sol. probe the 2 small terminals,,1 should be gnd 1 should be pwr. find which is which,,then use a jumper wire for the pwr. unhook the big pwr wire coming out tho.

Do you mean one should be power from the controller? Unhook big wire from battery?

I have red light on controller just no headlights but It has worked like that for years.

Going out to try.

6. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

make sure your solenoid is grounded

7. dieselss

Yea unhook the pos. Out of solenoid going to plow just so the motor ain't running. You can rubber band the controller up left or right and ck the solenoid output.

8. mikem503

mikem503 Junior Member

OK solenoid works! I did not have it grounded right.
    I removed the controller and opened it up . It seems to have a 3/4 " length of circuit that is bad. Guess I need a new controller.
    Thanks very much for all your help.

9. dieselss

you can repair it yourself,,,if your good with circuits fyi.....plowed for 3 years with my old controller "hot" wired internally.

10. mikem503

mikem503 Junior Member

Got a new one put it in and now pump motor runs. It went left and down now it won't move any more.
    The pump motor runs, shaft is free, fluid level good. It sprays fluid when it is un hooked when asked to go side to side.

We are getting 6 inches tomorrow!!