1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

getting new truck what should I do.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dat329, Feb 8, 2005.

1. dat329

dat329 Junior Member

I am looking to get a new truck Ford F550 crew cab with a dump bed. I want to use it for sanding, but what is the best size bed that I can get without making plowing harder than it is. Or should I get a regular cab, I also use this for my landscaping business. What is the best set up? Please help. I also want to haul my lawn equipment in this truck will a 9 foot bed suffice?
  2. plowed

plowed Senior Member

I have an '01 550. Reg cab with 9' dump. Works great with an 8' sander. A crew cab with a 9' body is a long truck!
  3. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

I'll be honest with you. I drive a 1997 Ford F-450 crew cab dump and a 8.5' Western MVP plow on the front. The truck is a beast to plow and it's also got a swenson spreader on the back but it is a B**** to back up in tight spaces. We do a lot of apartment complexes and retirement homes, and when there are a lot of cars, you'll be readjusting constanly to fit forward and backwards inbetween cars. Depending on what your applications are, I would probably get the regular cab. I think a 9' bed is the normal size bed but you can also go to a 10, 11, or 12' bed depending on what manufactuaer you are using. In the spring, I personally will be purchasing a 2005 F-550 XL with a 12 Rugby Landscaper body on it. This way I can use it for landscaping and for leaves. And hopefully late rin the year will be adding another with a 11ft dump bed. Another hting I would definitely get nothing smaller than a 9' plow on the truck. Anyhtign smaller and your rear wheels will be dragging in the snow. If you h ave any other questions just PM me. I'm gonna try to post a pic of my worktruck soon when it snows next.
  4. dat329

dat329 Junior Member

Lawnkid - thanks for the reply, I dont know why but the administrator turned off all my functions. I cant PM anyone.

This is my second year in business, and I need a new truck, I will be sanding with it next winter and I would like to use this as my primary work truck mowing and for all the landscape projects. I would like to haul my crew around with me while I work and not have them sit in the bed, I am not sure what size bed to get, I would like to get at least a 10 foot bed if not bigger for leaf collection in the fall. What does a rugby bed look like? Thanks for helping, I cant pm you or else I would have.

Should I get a Crew cab xl with a 12 foot bed, can I use this for sanding only, not plowing. is this excessive or should I just get a smaller bed and what type. if anyone can help please reply.
  5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

for plowing and sanding/salting you will be best with a reg cab 4x4 with the shortest wheel base possible. If you want a cc to haul the kids then you need to start thinking what compromises you can live with. You will be able to put yourself over the weight limit with the smallest dump possible.

A 9.5' fisher or western V, a fisher X blade or a blizzard 810 or 8611 would be my choice depending.

What kinda accounts do you have?

For just spreading material and having another rig to plow IMO you would be better suited with a bigger dump.
  6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

If you get a regular cab and then put a longer than 8' bed on it. You also may have trouble pulling trailers that don't have extended tongues. The dump will hang out past the frame more in the rear. Something to keep in mind.
  7. ratlover

from IL

never mind :eek:
  8. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

I may be off here, but I would think that if the truck has a longer dump box/ bed that the frame would be a bit longer also. Maybe they don't have longer frames, but usually the pivot point is at the rear of the frame and bed. So if the frame is in the back of the bed (the same as it would be for 8' or whatever, it should hook and pull the same way, just a bit longer.

9. ratlover

from IL

ford does have a ton of different wheelbases for thier 550's