1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting New Fisher Plow Question

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by dss56, Jan 28, 2009.

1. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

Well I'm sure next week I will have a HD 7.5 Fisher plow put on my Dodge 2004 1500 SLT Quad cab 4x4. Truck has the tow package and extra cooling tranny and power steering radiator. I know there are the pro and cons of doing this to this truck. I need to get a plow because of all the snow this year here in Boston. I do baby my trucks and take care of them I might put about less than 8k miles a year on the truck. Truck has 53k miles current bought with 45k and this February will be 2 years so 8k in 2 years. Well my thought to getting this RD/HD Fisher 7.5 blade is because if I do get another truck it will be a 2500 dodge and I will only have to get new mounting brackets for the 2500. Will keep truck for another 2 years then a 2500. I am not going to do commercial plowing just some driveways and small lots. I have been toying with this Idea and tonight the wife says go for it. I will get it done in Portsmouth NH with no tax. The price will be about $800 cheaper than down Here in Boston. Some places here in Boston will not put a plow on the Truck I have called Plow shops here Local and they will not do it. I called Portsmouth and they Don't know why they wont if not the Homesteader at least. I do have an after market Warranty for 80k Miles on engine and tranny and other parts and nothing is mentioned about not putting a plow on it. The truck will be sold before it reaches 80k.

Any suggestion or opinions about doing this?

thanks

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

parking lots and Driveways are commerical accounts. Since you probably called Portsmith Dodge. just get a 7.5 Blizzard they are tall and big but lighter than the fisher. Dont get a Homesteader it kinda small for you truck. But one reason they may be balkig at you. You have 20 inch rims and a Spoiler on front of ruck. One other question is this your truck?

[​IMG]

3. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

The tires are 17in and no spoiler. I called http://www.seacoastplowcenter.com/fisher.html and they said they will have to order the mounting skid plates but had all the other Fisher parts for the install It will take about 5hrs for the install. My truck also has a matching Fiberglass cap from Century that weight about 200 pounds so I have some ballast and will need to add more. Also a set of Timbrens will be Installed in front.

This is not my truck, my color is Maroon. I guess I need to get some pictures of my Dodge. Mine is the 1500 slt 4x4 quad 4.7 towing package.

Also I'm not going to be doing big jobs just a few. My drive way is about 90 feet up a narrow incline my house and stone wall on one side and neighbors fence on other side. Then it opens up to a four car parking. The narrow part coming up the driveway is about 9feet wide where part of the house is a bay window and foundation is. then it opens to about 10 feet on either side up the driveway. I gotta be careful plowing buy this bay window. I have no place to but the snow when we get 2-4 snowstorms one after another. I'm ruining my fieldstone wall and front wall with putting the snow there with my 10hp snow blower. Then up back putting the snow near my pool and behind my shed I have finally had it and will push the snow down the driveway and across the street to open lot and clean up. Also will do some neighbors to keep them quiet. I have been doing this for 30 years in the city and you do run out of space to put the snow. If my driveway was flat I would probably be ok but the incline of 90 feet+ is a pain and slippery. All my vehicles are 4x4 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2000 Chevy Blazer and a 2003 Toyota Highlander plus my truck.
    The city has limited parking so keeping the driveway clean is a must.

I heard that the homesteader blade is not that rugged and in the long run don't want. The Light duty Fisher is Lighter but has the ploy cutting edge and can't be fitted with a steel cutting edge. The RD/HD has the steel cutting edge that I want because I will need to also do some back dragging. And again want the 7.5 RD/HD for the future when my next truck will be a 2500 so I don't have to go through all this pros and cons of the 1500 Dodges having a plow put on them. I would not do this If I did not have an after market warranty through the Dodge dealer good for 80k miles.. Well if i'm not doing the right thing I can only blame my self. There has been many people here who has HD plow on the 1500 doing light plowing and have had no problems. I hope I will be one of them.

Thanks for all the support pros and cons for advice.

4. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

Sounds like you're on the right track to me. I have a 2006 F150sc with a 7.5 mm2 and have plowed commercially for 3 years with no problems. Good luck and hope you make some $$$

5. snap1

snap1 Junior Member

how does the f150 plow? i am putting one on my 04 new body f150screw also. mm2 and levelers for the front springs. what do you think ?