1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

getting new cutting edge built, 1/2" steel for $125

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by trqjnky, Dec 15, 2009.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

my cutting edge is getting pretty wore down on my meyers plow. i had a new edge for the plow that came with it, but its 3" too short??? so i said *** it and am having a machine shop make me a new one out of 1/2" steel. its 20lbs heavier so it will help hold the blade down.

with the extra cutting edge, im gonna make me up one of them there backdrag hinged blades. stay tuned for pics in the coming weeks. (busy at the shop so dont know how soon ill get to it)
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Make sure they use "hardend steel"
  3. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

for that price, i would think your getting just mild steel.. QT 400 -440 works well for wear surface
  4. rosswidebeef

rosswidebeef Member

5. rosswidebeef

rosswidebeef Member

my teacher in metals class in high school did this with small stuff always thought it was pretty cool looking, be careful btw.
  6. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

that's neat, but standard mild steel doesn't contain enough carbon to harden like most cutting edges. that link shows how to case harden, which is just a thin hard layer on the outside of the steel. it's ok if you want to try and make a knife. but not for a wear item
  7. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I just made new edges for my blizzard out of regular carbon steel. I found a chunk for $65 and figured I'd see how it wore. I expect I should get a season out of it.