1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting new contracts

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TopNotchLS, Nov 27, 2006.

1. TopNotchLS

TopNotchLS Junior Member

I know this issue has been discussed before, but how do you get new contracts when it's your first year in business. Everyone says that they already have someone.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Persistence. Just keep your name out there. Do some cheap advertising like putting up a little ad or notice at the local convenience store, take out an ad in the local shopper, talk to anyone you can think of - neighbors, family, friends. Don't expect much the first year - sometimes it's hard to get started. You might just have to take those one-time calls that are such a PITA. But as people come to associate you with plowing snow, then you can do some things just to make sure they're got your number in the Fall.
  3. 'Rude Dog

'Rude Dog Member

new contracts...

keep your eye open for new construction , especially during the spring and summer, ask questions, be persistent, find the name of the owner, if he's new to the area, you might just snag a new contract- ask him if he knows of anyone else looking for someone to plow their lot-most of all , be persistent- also, if you don't mind plowing them, check with the local 24 hr gas stations ( bp, sheets, marathon, etc.) about every 2 years in our area, they will solicit bids for snow removal and sometimes, landscape work - print up some business cards ( you can even purchase software to do this on your pc, and staples has card stock that you can purchase) spread cards out at places that aleready have plow contractors, you could get calls from people who call them, and, if your numbers' handy , you could get a call ( I have gotten lots of business in the past from this, especially at gas stations- also note, you can get a LARGE number of residential customers ( driveways, etc. ) this way, as people will call the gas station to see who plows their lot, or if they KNOW OF someone who plows !!!! Hope this helps- been plowing since '84, and started out the same way that you are- be persistent, the business will come !!! 'Rude Dog
  4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Its not easy, most people use their contractor from the previous years, those that don't are generally the low price shoppers and go with the lowest quote each year. They also tend to wait until the first or second snow storm before calling so there still are some contracts to be had. August is when I start, but this was a tough year, way too many plow guys in my town.
  5. kubotazd21

kubotazd21 Member

Do some cold calling and go thru the phone book or visit local business in your area.
  6. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I basically give my card to anyone that will take it. I got 1000 so i might as well use 'em! Anyways, i have an ad in the local free paper, but what has realler worked for me is my yard sign. I live on a major route so i put one at the end of my driveway. It cost me $30 and has gotten my a large percentage of my customers, and most if not all of them are in a close radius around my house! Good luck. - Jason
  7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

be careful with cold calling, if you call someone thats on the do not call registry that could get you into trouble.