1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting Nervous, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by AC2717, Oct 7, 2009.

1. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Well I am getting a little bit nervous.
    I have been in the business before, move out of the area and had to give up my customers, but advised them in advance. Just moved back closer to my old area and closer to work so I went back to a truck and plow trying to get back inoh by the way all residential.

I blanketed the area with flyers in the stores, walked the beat with flyers and placed them on the railings, and hitting up the old customers and personally mailing them that I am back and would love to stay. Now I know one might say well are you actually staying around this itme and I have clarified that I am. I also noticed that I was the only one that had any advertising out in the area I am working, probbaly because people might think I am early, it is usually a last minute thing here.

Started the blitz advertising at the Beginning of September, but was feeling out the older customers back in August.

But till Date I have not received one phone call back nor a mailer back.

What else can I do? getting nervous, but it is just starting to get cold out up here in the Boston Area.
  2. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

maybe sub for this winter until u can get ur customer base back for next year
  3. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

It's not always easy to take off where you left off...
    Alot of guys hang plows on trucks and put ads up and think their phone lines will light up, it takes time to get established, I know first hand cause I'm finally getting noticed....
  4. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

I sometimes run into the same problem. I run into problems not getting calls back.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Knock on doors. That way you WILL get an answer.
  6. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i think your biggest problem is lack of networking, you need to tell all your friends, family, buisness associates, mail man, store clerk, etc about what you are doing, etc, you also may have to lowball a bit, do a cheap job for a guy who is a real loud mouth social type, it well pay off in the end. example, last year i did a landscape job for a guy i know who is a constant talker, well the next thing i know this year, i had about 20 calls for estimates for landscaping from neighbors, his dentist, people down the street, contractors that worked on his house, etc. join a league or something and find the loud mouth, he well push your service and some people are bound to bite.
  7. dingybigfoot

dingybigfoot Senior Member

the "loud mouth guys" will always push your services.
    i've netted a few myself from referrals via the "loud mouth guy."
  8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

That would be like starting from scratch. As far as getting calls...I handed out about 250 post cards about a week or two ago and got 15 new customer's so far. On average we hear from customer's around the middle of October so dont give up yet. We had some snow last night and this weekend and that woke some people up. Dont give up, hand more flyers out.
  9. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Your right! Seems the flurries that we had early this morning up here in the Boston area, I received two calls today. Going out on Sunday to make bids
    I have been networking with anyone I can talk to, With this week of cold weather and little flurries, I think you are right, it woke a couple of people up
    Thank God!
  10. TonawandaNY

TonawandaNY Senior Member

I have over 600 flyers out! I just signed 3 more between yesterday and today for a total of 24. I advertised in craiglist and my promo was free sidewalk maintenance for the first 7 contracts of the year. I also gave people 5% off if they refered someone and that someone paid their contract in full!

Keep your head up and keep walking! Knock on doors when you see cars in the driveway. Go after the retired community, they are ones who need the help.

PS I praise GOD that all 24 contracts are within a 1000 ft of my house...
  11. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I think you are doing good with advertising but up here they arnt gonna worry about it until the first big storm is in the forecast. People are still in leave removal mode here. Wait it out, I think you will be alright. Continue to advertise and keep and eye on your flyers. I noticed last year some of mine were taken down or pinned over.
  12. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Get the blade on your lettered truck and leave it at the local Home Depot or equivalent for exposure.
    Cheap and effective.
  13. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

had a pretty good day today on Bidding 3 places, hopefully it will pan and out some others will come off of these!!
  14. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

It takes a while to get your customer base. At first you have to be the one chasing the jobs. But after a while of good service, they will come chasing you.
  15. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

I know every year it takes until after the 1st, sometimes 2nd storm of the year for some customers to realize they didnt send in the contract..lol..usually the same ones every year too...its like they need it to hit em upside the head to realize its time..!!...dont give up...they will call...and after the 1st storm...your gonna get some more calls from newbies...
  16. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Don't sweat it, when the first storm hits, just grab as many drive by's as possible, you'll fill up your client list in one to two storms.

The equipment end took off early in August, but seemed to flatten out, with the fluries, I expect things will pick up , always does. So again don't sweat it, it will happen.
  17. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I wouldnt worry to much right now. I have had the same thing happen have customers call at the last minute and say are you plowing this yr. I tell them I sent you a bid in September and you didnt respond. Most reply well we weren't thinking snow and I reply I was. They will call and you will be fine. Old customers dont forget good service and the ones that remember bad service you dont want anyway. Im not saying you do bad work just saying people remember more of the bad then good.