1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting my snowplower out of my truck bed?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GMSNOW, Sep 10, 2007.

1. GMSNOW

GMSNOW Member

I have a number of larger commercial accounts that it would be much faster to use my larger John Deer snow blower but I cannot figure out how 1 person can get it out of the back of my truck.

I was thinking of a folding aluminum type ATV ramps that could be securly attached to the truck tailgate but could easily fold down and fold back up and away. I do not want to spend alot of money on a tommy gate and have something sticking off my trailer hitch.

Has anyone come up with something home made or is there something out there on the market?

Help please!

Thx
    GMSNOW

2. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 Senior Member

you mean for the walks?

The metal ramps get very slick, but one guy working with us uses them to load his ATV into his truck.

3. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Is this a walk behind snowblower? If so just make up some wooden ramps with metal attachments at both ends. You can pick these up at any auto parts stores or hardware stores.

JP

4. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 Senior Member

wooden ramps are even more slick. VERY SLICK

5. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Well, I know that, that is why I have grips on mine. This year I am tacking wood strips in every 1 to 2 feet.

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Step 1. Put tailgate down.

Step 2. Back up quickly.

Step 3. Slam on brakes.

Step 4. Go on with your snow removal. :D

7. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

Harbor frieght sells metal ramps for about 60.00 .If you have one or two big places its ok.It becomes a big pain to load and unload all the time.The ramps works good but you have to secure them so they don't kick out. One person can do it.

8. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Harbor Freight has this thing called a truck crane it works great. I have one for the hitch. I used to lift my snow blade out of storage with it. My buddy mounted one in his truck for his job box works great.

9. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

ramps

get some grip strut steel ,it has diamond punched perforation's in it that gives it a tremendous amount of strength and tons of traction i used them for car ramps and they worked great with racing slicks with sand on the tires you can get it in different widths. not real cheap but will last forever.

10. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

I see two units at Harbor Freight - which one are you refering to?

11. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

12. You might consider the type of carriers that are a rack that slips into the hitch receiver. They are about 28 X 60 inches and have a mesh bottom. Hitch mounted so they are lower than the truck bed and only 1 pin to pull to take off for plowing. I have even seen some that tilt down on one side for easy loading.

13. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

ramp

there ie a company called link manufacturing in sioux center ia, that make's some really nice folding aluminum ramps that will be perfect ! 1-800-248-3057

14. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

You gotta remember that you'd be adding 3'+ to your truck. I don't know if that'd be wise but, of course, everyone's situation is different.

15. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

LOL!! i'm in school and just laughed real good out loud!!! That was funny!!!

16. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

i use 2 by 12 s...an mix sand in a oil base paint,sand in the paint will give u plenty of traction.
    an use the ramp things from tsc or some store like that...