1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting Low Balled?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by SnowRemoval1, Dec 5, 2014.

1. SnowRemoval1

SnowRemoval1 Junior Member
    from Chicago

I've been losing a number of bids this season (way more than last year). In fact, I've been 1/15 in the past month and I'm really wondering If I'm charging to much or the low ballers are going crazy and bought a truck themselves after last years mega winter and are thinking they can hit it rich.

Most of my lots look like this and normally have 80% of the 11 parking spaces filled. Residents have the option to move their cars if they desire.
    All of these I charge:
    *No salt, just plowing*
    2-5 Inches = $55.00
    5-8 Inches = $65.00
    8+" Inches = Reasonable Price Added

(I also charge extra between $15-$20 for the front sidewalks)

Am I charging too much for these (it went up $5.00 from last year) or am I just getting taken for a ride by the local low-ballers taking away the business?? Let me know! Also, any advice I should do in the future to make this not happen? I play up the business on how we are local but still losing the price shoppers.

tinypic.jpg

2. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

Seems reasonable to me. Can't work for free.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

holley thread clean up.

pooof......

gone...

sorry op, I guess I can't respond to your Q.

4. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Did you reference Hotdogs or Basement Dwellers in your response to the Question????...............:popcorn:

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

nope, none of the above.
    the thread had about 12+ posts

none of then were out of line when i last visited yesterday?

6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The funny part is suggested the mickey d;s and hotel across the creek for better paying lots.
    I've only been to chi town 3 times and I know where the lot is....:dizzy:.

7. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I doubt it. I plow only in the city, and I don't recognize the lot. That could be anyplace in the city. ANYPLACE. There are thousands that look exactly like that.

8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

O.k. is that why he agreed with me.

9. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I must be missing something. I only see his original post and nothing more. Where did he agree with you?

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Go back and reread. post #3

I'm done with this.....

11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Is this lot a one time visit or can you visit more then once say in a 6'' storm
    Might ask them if they went seasonal price or Your way Or per visit
    Tell them you don't want to know the price just the format of it.
    That way you can be apples and apple not apples and oranges when your bidding.
    If you had lots snow and customer bills was higher then normal last year. If someone offer them a seasonal price and its lot cheaper then what spent last year. They may go that route. Or they doing ones next to it and then a person can do them cheaper no travel time.

12. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Your price seems to be what I would be charging. Let the low ballers have it. History shows that they put their selves out of business...
    Bad thing is, new low ballers pop up to take their place.

13. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

we had a cash deal DnD for years .a small lot. some kid came soliciting for work the night before a blizzard lowbangin .he got it . caught him in the rear of the DnD with a 2 wd chevy spinning in a drift . came in with the vee down and rolled the exit and entrance left him with a 2 hoagie like wet packed tank traps . effortlessly.
    backed up and boogied .then penndot windrowed the tank traps. DnD didnt open for 3 days .they had to wait for the temps to rise .

2 birds with one stone .:waving:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014