1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting jobs, but No accounts! Please Help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Zack1978, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Zack1978

Zack1978 Member
    from NJ

Hello everyone,
    If you have read some of my other posts you will know that I am just starting to plow this year. I was given a 1979 Toyota 4x4 short bed pick up, with a 6.5 Fisher underhood hyd pump plow, of course this is what I will be playing with. I realize that the old Toyota is no match for an F350 but it's all I got!
    Well my day job is a middle school history teacher, so I will not always be available to plow. If I have a snow day of course I can be out there all day long! So I guess my issue is that I would not be able to be counted on, and I am sure that will be a problem for some. I also don't want to ruffle any feathers with the pro plow guys. I just want to learn how to plow, and take on a few driveways for some extra cash. Given the above noted facts, what can I do to break into the buss? Do you have any ideas as to how to line up people? Should I just drive around with a sign "plow for hire"? I am not sure how to go about this. I have some family members lined up, but at this point that's it. I also want to take on "easy" driveways to start out with. Also do you think my Toyota is up for the task at hand?

Thank you in advance,
  2. ironworks01

ironworks01 Member

Make a few signs .
    Ask your relatives to post them in their front yards. This will generate a few driveways. I also have a full time job. I do atleast 10 drives a year. Explain to your customers your position and that is why you can offer them a discounted rate. I guarentee my customers they can get out in the AM. Cleanup will be after 5pm that evening. As long as you explain to them you work like they do you'll be fine. I have never had a complaint ,and grow every year.
    good luck
  3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Ironworks is right, just be upfront with the customers and tell them that you work so plowing will be done in the evening. A plus side is you'll be cleaning up the town plow pile at the bottom of the driveway. Don't worry about your vehicle, just make sure it is as reliable as you can afford to make it, and I would consider having a plow repair kit on hand.
  4. westwind

westwind Member

Always carry extra parts. Hoses, solonoid, oil, etc.. are a must. Advertising:
    Make a simple flyer explaining your service and push them close to home or your place of business. Good Luck!
  5. NEAL

NEAL Member

For the type of work you want a flyer will be the chapest and most effective way to get jobs. You can target exactly the areas you want too. I agree that you must be honest to the customers about your job and your availability. It may turn off some potential customers but it will let people know you are honest. Get your truck as ready mechanically as you can now and maybe try to find someone that can back you up if your truck does happen to break down. Good Luck!