1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting job as a sub

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by danmc, Nov 9, 2004.

1. danmc

danmc Member

I got an offer today to plow as a sub for this guy - he'll give me $20 per hour to plow with his truck, his gas, etc...
    I'll get the truck the night before a storm is forecasted so I'll be able to go to the location straight from my house, if that's not possible I'll have to drive out to get the truck (approx 45 minutes away in snow). I have my own truck and plow that I bought last year but reliability has been an issue so I did very limited plowing. My only question is the pay - should I ask for a little more or am I being greedy???

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

You would be considered a employee by the irs under that situation, and 20 an hour is fair compensation for that arrangement
  3. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

If you used your own truck, thatn I would definatly ask for more. But since you are using his truck, I would say that is fair.
  4. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Personally, I would ask for more. Only $20 an hour to plow for over 10 hours straight starting at 2 in the morning?!?!?! But that's me, its all a matter if you are comfortable with it.

I would ask when the clock starts and stops and make sure you are both on the same page. Are you paid from the time you leave your house or when you get to the jobsite? Are you paid when traveling between jobs? What happens after over 8 hours of plowing, are you still at $20/hr or does it increase to $30/hr. When/if your truck breaks down does the clock stop and you are sent home or do you hop into another truck? Just some questions I would ask...
  5. 1996Ram2500

1996Ram2500 Junior Member

What's wrong with your truck?

That sounds fair, but after so many hours you might get tired. It might be extra incentive for you, if you got paid a little more after, hmm let's say, 8 hours. Hint, hint.

But, be careful asking, the guy might think you are greedy and not want to deal with you.

This is not advice, but I'm a risk taker. If someone said, $65 an hour (in my truck) or $20 in his, I'd take the $65 even if there was a chance my truck would fail. It would be even better if he said, if your truck fails, you can jump in one of mine, but I doubt that option will be there for you. So, it's a gamble.

One good question to ask (this goes for everyone, except lowballers because it's clear their time isn't worth crap) is, "how much is your time worth?"

So, at this stage in your life, is $20 enough for you?
  6. crashz

crashz Senior Member

$20 per hour as employee seems reasonable. Thats roughly what the state pays (here in MA). The stipulations I would be certain to clarify is starting time (does he call you in? does that include all travel time?), end time (does he let you go or do you end work at the completion of the job?) and a minimum number of hours per call (say a min of 5 hrs to make it worth it).
  7. danmc

danmc Member

Here are some details

First, they are all commercial accounts. In most instances, I'll have the truck the night before. The first account is 15 minutes or so from my house. Initial travel time is not paid for but travel in between sites is on the clock. Food time is off the clock but the minute we step foot back inside the trucks to return to the location is on the clock...
    He will call me to let me know when to head out to the first site - I'll be working in tandem with another plower. I'll stay until the job is finished - the other guy will stay for ice watch...
    At this stage, $20 an hour is fine with me - plus, the experience will be valuable....

Thanks for all of the input