1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting into snow removal, which truck?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ericsteiner925, Mar 1, 2014.

1. ericsteiner925

ericsteiner925 Junior Member

So, I will be looking to get into snow removal next winter, so I was checking out some trucks. I was thinking of going with either the Ford F150 or the Chevy Silverado 1500.

The dealerships both told me, if I was to, I would either need a 2500 or a F250 Superduty. Others told me, it didn't matter.

What do you all think? Any help would be appreciated. I would also just be using the truck for everyday use pulling a trailer.

Thanks.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Is this going to be a hobby or a business?
    If it's a business get a 2500 or a 3500.

A dealer just wants to sell you a vehicle.

3. ericsteiner925

Would be for a business I would be using it for the next year's mowing too... Someone said if I got a 1500 there is a plowing option..

4. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Don't waste your time on a 1500

5. ericsteiner925

Would a Ford or chevy be better?

6. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

how many mowers and what size trailer? I would atleast get a f250, your better off with a f350 especially with the mowers.

7. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

Get a 250 or 2500

8. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

9. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

If its for a business, definitely get a 250/350. A 150/1500 with a plow on it used for commercial purposes wont last you very long.

10. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

And to my knowledge, Snoway is THE ONLY manufacturer that makes a plow that can go on the new F 150's due to the electronic steering.

11. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

I'm assuming you mean the 2015 f150. I'm pretty sure boss can put a smaller plow on there as well, I mean I dont think they would have had one on the new f150 at the detroit auto show if the plow wouldnt work right?

12. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I stand corrected. I believe I've heard that Boss is able to mount one of their smaller blades on the F 150 as well, but not sure. And I was referring to a few years on the newer F 150's, not sure which year they started with the electronic steering. As to the '15 models, I'm not sure. Just because they put one on for the auto show doesn't mean that you can do it in reality.

13. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

I mean I know boss can mount their sport duty plows on the new f150 as long as it has the plow prep package, 4wd and the 5.0 v8. Also heard this from my local ford dealership

14. ericsteiner925

It's a single axel trailer pulling two walk behinds right now

15. Northwind

Northwind Junior Member
    from Da U.P.

Plowed with a 1500 for the past 9 years. Just my opinion but I wouldn't put a plow on one again. 3/4 ton for me from here on out.

16. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster Senior Member

You need a 3/4 to 1 ton truck. Trust me, the times you want to be able to carry more weigh out ways the times you don't. Plus they are usually heavy duty vs light duty. And any plow you are going to put on a 1/2 ton truck isn't really made to do any commercial plowing. What blade do you plan on putting on it? Straight? V? Expandable? And the size of whichever? You will kick yourself down the road for not buying a heavier truck when you need one.

17. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

250 2500 series. As stated above, don't waste your time with a 150 1500 series truck.

18. Urdum2

Urdum2 Member

Extreme weather means extreme truck....bitter cold, hot asphalt, minus 10, 110,..... Listen to the grunts of this world not the suits...don't buy a 150, 1500 for plowing....

19. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

This 1/2 vs 3/4 ton debacle has been thrown around for years. They make plows for half tons but I'd advise against using one. Go big or go to repair shop.

20. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

I got a 98 chevy 1500 ,frame let go in front of leaf springs ,both sides from plowing with salt in back all the time .it was a great plow truck ,just broke down after years of abuse .my 95 3/4 is still going strong .I will try to get some pictures of it .