1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting into residential driveways, need help with polyurethane blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by AO8, Jan 24, 2014.

1. AO8

AO8 Junior Member
    from IL

I have a steel blade now and have done some residential driveways with it last snow fall when we got 15" in IL, however I was scared the whole time that I would scratch the concrete. I am going to get a polyurethane blade to put on instead but I'm wondering if all I need is the poly blade or if there is a bar or something else that I need to put on with it.

I've never used poly before only steel so any suggestions/help is welcome, thanks!

Also, has anyone done business with Surface Saver Snow Plow Blades from Toledo OH? Good/Bad reviews?
  2. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Cutting edges will mark up concrete and asphalt, nature of the beast. You don't need to change your BLADE, if you want, you can change your CUTTING EDGE to try and be easier on the concrete. What, do your customers expect their driveways or parking lots to look like brand new after being plowed??? Or you could just buy plow shoes instead of changing out your cutting edge, but that will leave a skim on the surface that you've plowed that will turn into ice unless you're salting as well. Do you actually do this professionally, because your questions sure don't sound like it.
  3. AO8

AO8 Junior Member
    from IL

Yea of course I meant just the cutting edge not the entire blade. I have a bobcat CT335 I do professionally mainly commercial lots though like restaruants nursing homes grocery stores etc, however I don't want to scratch homeowners driveways and I know steel cutting edges will even if you're careful. I'm going to get a poly edge to avoid as much scratching as possible bc if you haven't worked for homeowners before, yes most of them do expect no scratches.

My bobcat dealer said I would need a bar to go across the edge though however the other dealers didn't say anything about needing a bar for support. I'm wondering if someone can let me know if I do need a bar or just the poly edge
  4. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

Never seen a plow scratch a driveway permanately, scuff it? sure but that will be gone soon. Maybe a poly on a paver drive but even then......

With that said, only time Ive seen poly cutting edges they look like they were just bolted up like a normal steel edge
  5. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

just take your steel cutting edge and sandwich the poly between the plow & the steel edge
  6. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

it's your call AO8 but I wouldn't bother switching blades. sure you might scratch the concrete or asphalt but nothing permanent. not that I've ever seen or heard of.

I've been plowing nothing but residential driveways for the past 3 years and never once damaged a driveway to any permanent extent.
  7. AO8

AO8 Junior Member
    from IL

Ok sounds good thanks!
  8. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have one, go here www.maxwellservicesllc.com truck with yellow on the cutting edge. click on it and you will see how to hold it down so it does not rip off. Poly will not leave the rust marks or scratch.
    I use this 95% of the time.
    I have seen scratching and gouging of concrete and pavement.
  9. AO8

AO8 Junior Member
    from IL

Awesome thanks a lot for the help
  10. Rockyroad

Rockyroad Junior Member

We manufacture exactly what you're looking for.
  11. Snow Business 1

Snow Business 1 Junior Member

This exactly.

And steel edges have definitely caused some damage on Ashpalt driveways that we deal with. The poly edges are pricey but worth it.