1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting into plowing/?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Kentuckydiesel, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

i have been considering getting into plowing (on the rare occasion that it snows here). i had originally planned on putting a plow on my '95 F350 CC DRW4x4 truck but have since dropped that idea because i want to do smaller areas like driveways. All the parking lot jobs and neighborhood jobs always seem to be done by excavation equipment.
    I have a '79 Dodge W150 stepside with a built 360, 4sp manual, 4x4 with a lift and 35" goodyear MT/R tires that i am now thinking of using. Up until now, the only plow truck I've used is a '84 F250 belonging to my grandparents which has a 7'6" western plow, been really good to us, had the plow since the truck was new. i have found it to be lacking in traction now and again though. How would this dodge do? (It has the best traction of any truck I've ever driven) I am thinking about dropping the dodge a little for stability reasons, is this a good plan? What do you guys think?? Thanks, phillip
  2. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

Also, I had a local spring shop rearch the front springs and add a leaf or two a few years back. The frons susp. should be fine. The tires are 7'6" to the outside, does that mean i need an 8' plow? Thanks, Phillip
  3. frostservices

frostservices Member

most guys will say you don`t want a Manuel trans to plow with ,but I use one. Most of my sites are at least 500 feet long so its more like plowing roads,I have plowed a couple lots and the chevy sucks cause it`s got granny low and granny reverse (takes forever to back across the lot) but my ford has a faster reverse more like an automatic does ,and I could keep up plowing along side an automatic with that,but Its also a diesel so u don`t have to worry about it killing when you let the clutch out like you would with a gas. If I was using a gas engine I would go with an auto trans. as far as dropping the truck I don`t think I would bother . You should have a 8 foot blade to cover your tires,but remember in snow narrower tires are better I think I would get a set of 255/85/16 their 33 inches and would do much better than floats.
  4. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

That CC is a LONG truck to be plowing with. Not to say it won't work. You will just have a hard time getting into smaller places and making tighter corners. If I had to put a plow on it I would go with an 8' minimum but preferrably an 8'6" plow. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.