1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting into commercial lots

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Whitewheelin, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Whitewheelin

Whitewheelin Junior Member

I currently only do private driveways rigth now and have a few regular customers but i wanna expand and do some commercial lots next year also. I was curious about how i go about doing this. Do i just approach businesses with an estimate? Also what types of businesses should i approch are some better then others to deal with? Any help would be appreciated so i could go about it before next winter comes. Thanks.

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Might want to consider subbing first to get your feet wet. Observe and then learn.

Managing and servicing commercial sites is quite different than plowing driveways. :nod:

3. Whitewheelin

Whitewheelin Junior Member

i subbed for a guy i play hockey with and it wasnt to bad thats what made me consider about trying some commercial. But he was out of town when i did his route. Do alot of contractors sub work out? And if so how do i go about bidding on a lot because im sure they still wanna make money on there lot and i wouldnt wanna do it for nothing.

4. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Keep an eye:nod: out for the commercials that you would be interested in. L ook for such things as, when they start plowing, do they do the walks, hows the ice control, do they use sand or salt or no ice control at all. Go for lots that fit the equipment you have at the present.
    Figure out the rate you need to make a profit and go for it.tymusic

5. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

How long can you operate before getting paid?
    Private home owners generally pay within 1-15days. Commercial accounts 1-3 months( my averages).
    You will need a couple of back up plans. A private home owner usually will understand a break down or delay, and can still be serviced with a shovel or walk behind snow blower. Commercial accounts are not near as understanding.
    Do you have the resources for sanding/salting and haulage of snow when required? Subs become extremely impatient for their pay too and don't care if you been paid or not. They will usually terminate service if not paid in 30 days even though you are not paid in 60.

Keep reading PS, you have untill next winter. I have found some of these guys helpfull being in similar markets and well thought out replies.

Go to advanced search and type in the user names, view posts. It is alot of reading but I'm fast tracking you. I live in a snow belt now and grew up in Parry Sound and know where Thunder Bay is!

Hope it helps.

Smiley39,,,neige,,,ff1221,,,,JDDave
    And keep reding the Canadiain weather treadtymusic.

Good luck to you Whitewheelin and view neiges quote in my signature. It is truely the best advice ever given on Plow Site.payup

6. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Hey! Whiteweelin it's me again. Watch this guy too:salute: