1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting in to plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Craigofva, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Craigofva

Craigofva Junior Member

whats the best way to get in to plowing?

2. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Start by working for someone first. It will be cheaper for you, no start up costs!

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Don't bother....no money to be had in this industry lol.

4. Craigofva

Craigofva Junior Member

ohh repo thanks for the advice i better just cancel my acount on here :p

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Absolutely...... :nod:

For the record, I would also recommend working for someone else at first. It will help you get a better understanding of the industry and how it all works.

Welcome aboard! :waving:

6. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

To start a pass simply drive and drop ye olde plow, or if you like me ( Iam sure many other ppl do I to) drop plow and then drive, angle to left or right depending on wheelre you want snow to go. Oh ya also get A job with someone else, before you start braking your equipment

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  7. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

start driving for some one else, then get a truck and sub it out to some one, then get your own work. take a year or three at each step.

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Get a truck with a plow and learn with experience
    Start with a few neighbors or friends and see where it goes.

9. Craigofva

Craigofva Junior Member

thanks for the advice. my wife works for a guy who owns alot of plows trucks. i think the beging of next season ill go talk to him. for now ill be shoveling for money

10. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

i think you should talk to him now, i would bet he needs a dependable driver like the rest of us.

i prefer dependable and accounted for over experienced and MIA anyday

11. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

make sure you no the area you are pushing and go slow

12. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Watch out its a serious addiction ! Here are some of the signs to watch out for: First you'll be curious about plowing, then you'll start joining online forums to ask questions, after that you'll start plowing, followed by wanting your own truck, next thing you know you'll be watching videos of someone else plowing after you have plowed for 20 hours, and making comments about the videos in online forums last but not least, you regress to making videos of your plowing to be critiqued by others on snowplow forums. :D :laughing:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  13. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Oh no, i reached level 7 addiction this winter. I'm gonna need a support group soon

14. Kubota 8540

Just gave me an idea, Online support for those who are seriously afflicted. $1 / minute online support just type www.nomosno.com :D

15. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

thats how i started by watching plowing videos then you make your own and you check the weather every hour wishing to see snow in the next few days

16. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

How to make a small fortune in the snow plowing business:

Start with a big one.

:D

17. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

A lot of the big guys on here really "get into it" by listening to country music and video taping themselves.:D

18. Kubota 8540

OK something to think about? I realized the other day while driving in a town 20 miles from home......dam there is a lot of places that get plowed every time it snows. That was in one little town? Multiply that by the number of towns that get snow.......WOW thats a lot of people plowing and salting. So, there's 3,000 members on Plowsite, we couldn't possibly service all these locations across the country. My point is that we have time to be on Plowsite where are all the others at? Are we the one's that are paid well enough to have free computer time or are we the Slackers and the rest are too busy making the real money??

19. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The others are lowballers that don't make enough money to be able to afford a computer or have the internet.
    They do have BEER tho...lmao

20. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I know some that are too old to trust a computer. Ask them if they're "online" and they say "No, I'm on a Sideroad."
    Their equipment is paid for and there clients are loyal.