1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting Gravel off lawns and side of road

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TerrForms, Mar 24, 2012.

1. TerrForms

TerrForms Member

Have a 1/2 mile gravel road we plow and have a lot of gravel on the side of it. The people are upset. I have to get it cleaned off! Know of any way besides raking it off??? This is going to take forever at this rate. Power rotary broom? :cry:

2. HitchC&L

HitchC&L Member

Yup, power broom.

You really cant avoid it though, you are always going to get gravel on the lawn from plowing.

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Power rotary will work the best...I also have a broomer that goes on a front mount mower for pulling it up steep inclines to the road. It's a popular service in our area.

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Not always straight forward...[​IMG]

5. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

We use a broom on a toolcat for those larger areas

6. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Power broom on a skid works great. Have rented one for the last couple of springs and use it on my track machine. Works awesome. It has the power to broom a huge pile of stone but at the same time its delicate on the grass.

7. 2ExploreSnow

2ExploreSnow Member

What they said... get a rental

Another option -- If you already have a decent size trimmer, they make a couple of different broom attachments for them. One being a bristle brush and the other a rubber paddle. I'm told the paddle one is effective for cleaning gravel off sod with minimal turf damage. On the other hand, the brush type is often used as a de-thatcher.

8. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Yeah....what 2exploresnow said.....the rubber paddles work great but the skid power brooms are much faster if that works for you

9. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

If plowing is the only property maintainence that you do for this account , putting the gravel back into the road shouldn't be your responsibility .

10. wewille

wewille Senior Member

It is if it says so in your contract...

11. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

X2 We just did a large clean-up of gravel last week, and we don't even plow the place. Very good money tho payup

12. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I use a John Deere 2305 with the Heavy Duty 60" Broom. Works awesome :)

13. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Heavy machinery is going to leave marks in the turf that you will then have to repair if the area still has any moisture in it. The rubber paddle attachment on a big trimmer works great but it is not what I would use for something of this size. Go rent a walk behind Gravely or BCS sweeper. Light enough to not leave marks, 40" or more in width and enough power to push the gravel all the way to the roadline. We have lots of spring cleanups that require this type of equipment and as much as I hate our Gravely, it does the job with ease for this size of job.