1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting good help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by diggerman, Aug 27, 2000.

1. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

How do you guys go about getting help for a season. I will need around 10 to 15 guys come snow season I know how it has worked for me in the past,but am curious how others get help.Oh and on top of the some what qualified drivers I will need around 20 to 30 shovelers.

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Well i have drivers and equipment opperators, i am lucky in that respect. This is what i have found for shovelers.

I have 10 of my own, with 2 spares.

As for weekends and vacations ( if guys want time off) , my sons work. They also have dozen friends that have been great shovelers.

I can get buy with that, and my sons and their friends help, when they can during school.

I can always use some extras so this is what i do.

When i need to haul snow, i have a few woodcutters with decent trucks, 85 or Newer. They don't work always right after the snow, so some of there help works for me as a shoveler. This is only some years, depends on the years i guess.

Maybe thats an idea for ya, depends on where ya live i guess.

Geoff

3. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

I have my own operator too but they all have their own pickups that I need someone too run while they are operating the bigger stuff. I have been putting an add in the local collage news paper and using applicants who have CDLs,figuring they aleast have some driving experience. Shovelers usually come from churches, we give a dollar for every hour they work to their group. Geoff what do you use for construction equipment mostly?

4. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I do utility construction and service. If its gas, water, sewer, power, phone, cable, or data we do it. I work for both private contractors and have contracts with major utilities.

This year we are doing job, for a private industry at a business park. The needed new power, water, sewer, phone cable, ect. We told them we couldn't do the job this year, just didn't have room in the schedule. They told us get the extra guys and the equipment and reflect it in your price. The truth is i don't even advertise, i don't need to.

Snowplowing is just something i do for work in the winter, because it's hard to work in the winter on installs. So loaders and backhoes just sit, so they plow. In the winter we do up grades, service, ect. This way i can put my loaders, and trucks to work in the winter.

Geoff