1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

getting going

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hilltopfarm, Nov 2, 2004.

1. hilltopfarm

hilltopfarm Junior Member

I was wondering if an f350 dump truck and plow would be a good choice for starting in a plow bussiness on my own. i had plowed before using my 1979 f150 and have used my snowblower to take care of some local driveways and walks. i do not work full-time during the winter due to being in the landscape profesion. thanks any tips would be appreciated

2. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

It wouldn't be my first choice for residential work, but you should be ok on lot work...Rob

3. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Is the F350 a 4wd? If not I would have a back up close by.

4. I've been plowing with my c3500 cump truck for 3 years, its 2wd. I've never needed a backup truck close. Its true, you need to be more careful, but it'll do just fine :cool:

;) remember, a dump is alot heavier than most trucks out there payup

5. hilltopfarm

hilltopfarm Junior Member

Thanks guys i was actually thinking of using my existing truck that i have now and just put a plow on it rather than buying aother truck. It is a 1996 f250 heavy duty with the PSD and has a 5spd manual(my other truck had the 4spd and i loved it) with 142000 on it.

Thanks Again :redbounce

6. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

For what it's worth, when my wife and I were living in an apartment for the first few years we were married, the maintenance guys had a 2WD dump they used for plowing, along with a few F-250 4WD pick-ups.

The lots in the complex I lived in were basically flat, not really any inclines except for the entrance drive itself. One year we had a winter where it seemed like it snowed every 3 days and I can remember 2 or 3 times that the guys were hooking up straps or chains to the 4wd pick-up to pull the dump truck out when it was stuck. I had asked one of them about it and he said that the dump was only 2wd and that was why it was stuck. Of course, I don't know how good the tires were or how much weight was in the back of it.

Just my two cents.

7. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman Member

I started plowing a little last year with my F350, 4X4 dump. Im no expert by any stretch but my F350 seemed pretty big for residential work. So big in fact that Im getting a plow for my Wrangler to do the small stuff. Thats not to say it cant be done, it will just take more care and cleanup. As for 2X4 verses 4X4. I guess it can be done, it will just take more care and cleanup. I personally wouldnt do it with a 2X4 but Im not very good at it with a 4X4 either.