1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting excited...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by SharpBlades, Oct 19, 2010.

1. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Ok, so this will be my first year plowing, so obviously I can't wait for the first snow. I was looking at accuweather and it is predicting snow for halloween and and the first of november.

Now I know that the snow 99 times out of 100 will not stay around, and will most likely not even be plowable with a 3" trigger, but i'm still excited.

I have read not to stake properties till after halloween, but what should I do if snow is still expected? Also, I have signs that will go on one of the stakes at the end of the drive... so I kind of want them out on halloween for free advertising to parents. So should I stake before halloween and risk getting my stakes stolen or broken, or just wait till after and just not plow all the way to the edge of the driveways?

2. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I always wait until the last minute to put my stakes out. Just make sure it get done in time though!

3. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

personally i dont stake residentials, but for roads and parking lots where its needed i wait until december or first predicted snow

4. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

This is my first year as well and I am excited too, and hoping for another "Halloween" blizzard here in Mpls! I say stake them; it shows them you are prepared and ready, you don't have to worry about freak storm throwing you off, and free advertising is always good. Even if some of them do break/get lost/stolen, how much is a stake $1.50/ea.? How much is an ad in the local paper $40?

5. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

i'm getting stakes for .71$ a piece but they are not the reflective ones, other wise id wait till mid november so they don't get up and walk away from you. We have run into that problem before if you get them out to early or don't grab them quick enough at the end of the year someone picks them out of your lot.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

why stake a property?
    never have used stakes on resis and only a few commercials get them

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Yeah, I debated this, this year after spending 700 bucks! :eek: But my luck our first snow will be a foot and trying to tell all the subs.......I have a headache now.

8. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Wait... Halloween is 10 days away. Accuweather isn't accurate 2 days out much less 10 (ok, 12 from your post). If it takes 2 days of non-stop staking to get them done, wait until a credible forecast of a couple days out, or right before the ground freezes. 2 years ago I waited until mid-November, and found frozen ground anywhere it was shady most of the day... I sure as heck wouldn't stake based on a prediction of snow 12 days out, and stakes turn into toys on Halloween. :gunsfiring:

9. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

obviously a newbe! Halloween of 1991 was a nightmare and drove many co.s out of bus. at wasn't even possible to plow with trucks, many clients were simply unable to pay the massive bills, and repair parts were unavailable. careful what you wish for. 2" every week would be much better

10. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed 100%!!! Except, I'll take 2" every 3 days, just enough time to get caught up on sleep, fix what broke, and go do 'er again. :waving:

11. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

give me 4 inches a storm and im happy every 3 days

12. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

Bought a bunch of the orange reflective ones at Menard's for $0.99 yesterday.

13. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

Most of my driveways this year have culverts, curves, uphill/downhill, turnarounds, etc. It show reasonable care on your part to plow the driveway and not their yard. They can remind you where or where not to pile snow if the owner requests...

Last year the guy that plow my parent's drive didn't stake it out and ended up plowing about 4 feet off the driveway around the curve and then slipped off the driveway getting stuck in/on one of the culverts.

That's why I am using them.

14. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

What did you decide to do?