1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting Confused

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snow-Kid, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

Well I plan on getting a new truck this April and am torn between two trucks. The one I was originally going to get was a 2005 Ford F-250 reg. cab 4x4 with a 5.4 liter v8 and plow prep. Then I went to our local dealership and saw a 2005 Ford F-350 reg. cab 4x4 with a 5.4 liter v8 and plow prep. Then I want to put a Boss V plow on but don't no what size. I do about 10 commercial lots all different sizes and i also do 5 drives. I was leaning toward the F-250 with a 9.2 boss v but didn't know if it would handle the plow. Plus would the Triton V8 have the power to push snow with the 9.2 boss. Now I am getting all confused. :confused:
  2. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Buy the F350. They are essentially the same truck with different springs. Either will carry the Boss, but if you do that much commercial stuff go for the bigger truck as it has a higher rating and more capacity.
  3. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

3/4 or 1 Ton

I used to build GM Truck frames. There was a huge difference between a 3/4 ton and 1 ton. The metal of the frames was thicker, allthe shock mounts, etc, were heavier duty. Was basically a different frame than the 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. The 3/4 ton was based on a half ton frame, with extra stiffeners and brackets, but the frame itself was basically the same design. I firmly believe to go with the one ton, as long as you NEED a truck and are going to work it hard. It sounds like you will work it hard with the commercial lots, so might as well get the heavier duty truck. 3/4 ton will probably be fine though, just have to be a little nicer to it.

After the 2000 models, I have no idea as they closed our plant with the redesign of the GM frames. (When they started hydroforming them).

4. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

the 350 will handle the plow fine. I have a 04 with the 9'2" v blade and it is a good combination. It is difficult in tight situations. Basically if your mirrors will clear your plow will. The 05 has a higher GVWR and is all around a stronger truck.
  5. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

i have a 04 250 super duty xlt, with and 8' western i do a hospital complex and a couple drives. i have no problem with the triton 5.4 pushing snow. the 250 rides nice not sure how a 350 would ride in comparison. you will need to drive both and check out the ride diffrence. if you are going with a sander now or in the future look only at the 350.
  6. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

One thing to consider is if you'll ever want to sub for a municipality.

Here in Mass, the State's Highway Dept requires all subcontractors to have a minimum of a 1 ton pickup. So with my 3/4 ton, I'm out of contention. Cities and towns I'm sure all have different requirements as do different states. It's just something to think about for down the road. If I had of known this before I bought my truck, I may have made a different choice. The only thing that stinks for me is I'm a Dodge man and they only offer the 1 ton in a dually (well as of 2000 I mean, the year of my truck) and I don't really want a dually. Ford and Chevy of course offer the 350/3500 in a standard 2 wheel rear axle.

I also agree with what the other guys said, if you're going to work the truck hard then go for the 1 ton. I have a 8' straight blade and although I suppose technically my truck can handle the V, I don't think I'd want to run one unless I had a 1 ton. That's just my preference. Some things to think about though, hope this helps you out.
  7. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

Well thanks for all of the posts. I think I may be leaning toward the F-350. I may not need that big of a truck now but I will never know what work could come for me in the next couple of years. I would always like to get a few more commercial accounts of my own. Right now I plow for my boss and starting to get my name out there to get my own customers.