1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting Bigger !! ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by concreteguy, Nov 27, 2009.

1. concreteguy

concreteguy Senior Member

Go figure, I decide to try to partner up with the guy I do concrete with and take on more accounts for the company we sub for in plowing and this is the result.
    Last year i flew solo and my plow accounts totaled approx. 3 hrs and then would salt behind accounts that somebody else plowed, made decent money per event. Don't know how many sq. ft. total, but this year me and my partner are taking on approx. 26 acres of plowing and 29 acres of salting after the lots are cleared, not in addition to. Making less money per event, obviously its split, but taking on way more this year. I figure some is the economy and my boss probably lowered his price to land the account,but come on, must be doing something wrong Tom
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Where are you in Illinois Tom?
  3. concreteguy

I'm out of Lombard but my routes are south of me near I-55 AND RT. 83 Tom
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Of everything you bid, did you get it all? Do you think you may have lowballed it a bit if you did? That kind of plowing and especially the salting/ice control should have generated a pretty good revenue stream. What are you running for equipment to take on that kind of work?
  5. concreteguy

Mike, maybe it was not clear in the my first post,sorry, but this is all subbing through another contractor who tells me what he's going to pay me for the various sites. I'm not sure what he gets, but have been plowing for him for many years. I guess my intention for the post was that just because you're clearing alot of pavement does'nt mean your going to make more money. I also know if I was taking all the responsibility as my own accounts I would be where I would want to be as far as price per push, but thats alot of work at least more to it than one would think.
    Anyway ,I plan to clear my route w/ cabover GMC T7500 w/10' western & hyd. salter,cabover mitsu.w/ 9' western/10' western v-box, f-350 9' blade & hyd salter,(2) skidsteer w/ pushers, (3) pick-up w/ 8' blades
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If he is paying you the same or more then you have to be making more money. More accounts means more time to bill.
    If not then you are working WAY to cheap
  7. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

If you can do it for that then do it. Theres some guys that will give you the plow but they want the spread. and we all know where the real profits at
  8. concreteguy

It's not that I feel their being unfair, because they put alot of time in getting the accounts, billing, getting the salt( but we still pay for it ,just don't have to have our own pile) and not to mention still get paid if they don't. I just thought that by taking on what I did this year was going to be better. Well the year hasn't even started so i'm a little ahead of myself in saying anything,but it could obviously be having to split w/ a partner. Anyway, Thanks for the response and lets hope the season is at least average.
    Thanks, Tom