1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting bag salt in the summer

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Rshoemobile, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Rshoemobile

Rshoemobile Junior Member

I'm new at this and will be using bagged salt. I live in the Canton, Ohio area and would like to know where, what type and when I should start getting my salt. I am planning on getting at least 2 -3 pallets and see how that ammount goes. I can always order more or same some for next year. Any help would be appreaciated.

Sampson Property Management

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Is there any reason why you wouldn't find someone in your area that can load bulk for you?

3. Rshoemobile

I will be using a tailgate and walk behind spreader. I will need to have the salt in bags.

4. leon

leon Senior Member

salt etc.

==================================================================================================================================

you have a posting that will bring many comments:

A lot will depend on how far you actually are from Morton Salt In Painsville, Ohio as you should buy it from the Morton mine directly at the scale house as it is in the off season-being May1- Sept 1. And by purchasing it from the mine you avoid the wholesalers but still pay a lot for bagged "Halite".

I will tell you unless you have a garage where you can keep the palleted salt out of the weather and have a dehumidifier running from day 1 you put the salt into storage and the first day of freezing temperatures you are going to have problems because the HDPE 4 bags are not moisture proof and unless you are willing to buy halite in packed in buckets
    you will have problems-

You can save your self a lot of work by buying salt in buckets but it will cost you more- but the buckets can be reused for salt and sand OR

Unless you order two pallets buckets from a plastic bucket molding company which is easy to do because they will sell them to you or me in pallet loads-more pallets less cost etc. been there done that etc. if you pay in cash or credit card to the bucket manufacturer-

I can help you there too if you like as they have a minimum order level with which you
    can not go wrong with anyway.

Buying in bulk will help you price wise but volume is the issue as they will not want to load a very small trailer because of volume isssues and control unless they have a batch weighing bin and telescoping loading spout for small tonnages.

If you buy two or three pallets of new buckets and lids like the rectagular kitty litter buckets with lids you can reuse them continually.

The nice thing about buckets is you can load them with sand and salt and keep the sand and salt dry to avoid issues with clumping and salt becoming a solid block.

And you can also fill the buckets with fifty pounds of salt and sand using porrtion and weight control A small balance beam scale from Global or Mcmaster Carr or another supplier of scales is fine.

After filling the pails with salt you can dump a pint or quart of windshelid washer fluid or mixed yellow prussiate of soda over ther salt and sand and it will not cake up if if left in the open with the lid on.

Buckets are better inventory control and its easier to count buckets used than worry about bags blowing around etc., and the bags are, more difficult to recycle too unless you know where you can take the HDPE4 Bags to recycle them as they end up in the garbage going to the landfill.

Filling them is easy if you you want weighed portions

You need a ladder and a couple of the foldinng steel or plastic saw horses you can shovel sand and salt into the cone or dump buckets in it to fill and weigh with a platform scale under the ladder and cone.

If you fill pails of sand you will have dry sand to use and adding the yellow prussiate of soda will keeep it from clumping too ( some of the folks use windshield washer fluid too or alcohol for the sand and salt.

The beauty once you pack it and add the yellow prussiate of soda or windshelid washer fluid or ethylene glycol -the RV anti freeze and keep it in a garage with a dehumidifier-it will be ready to use and always be dry and you can by it and have useable inventory with no storage issues. You may use it all one year or not and it will still be useable.

I use sand myself and have no issues of killing vegetation or worries about refreezing as the grit is the best way to avoid slips and falls. The other thing is you can buy 10 times as much mason sand or more for every ton of bagged salt or 6 times as much mason sand versus bulk salt- and if you use prtion control the salt in the buckets you can mix the salt in combination for salting sand which also works well but the sand will save you money and using it will show you want avoid killing grass ands shrubs and adding salt to the storm drains, surface water and well water.

Its not my fault that we have become addicted to Halite as a deicer or using calcium chloride but it has become a convenience item for many and it has gone up in price due to the cost of explosives, diesel fuel and mine overhead and this has prompted a greater price for sized and washed gravel sands being mason sand and concrete sand because of the price increases for salt where if sand was used continually it would not have become an issue.

Asphault make up stone sand has also gone up in price due to its increased value for road grit in winter.

My experience with having worked in halite mining for 22 years has shown me that salt has been over used and wasted by municipalities as we have become so dependent on mobility with the automobile( my home town was where the use of halite really took off because the model T could not travel up hi9ll as it had no traction or doen safely because of inadequate braking and dry roads as sand was not on used on streets because the trolleys had sand pots for adding traction sand to the rails.

You can also open a lot of doors offering sand/salting sand for sale in pails with deposits paid on the pails when returned for refund which creates repeat sales of product.
    It also keeps the pails out of the landfills and wasting them. Plain table salt or solar salt will mix better in sand and it will cost less to mix too as you need less.

leon

5. Rshoemobile

Leon, I like your post. I'm not experienced, but it makes a lot of sense and it will be easy for me to store the buckets once mixed. I have a dump bed on my pickup so getting the sand locally won’t be a problem but will they load me in Cleveland? I really like the sand / salt mix idea for the reasons you mentioned and others. How do we go about ordering the buckets for starters and how many buckets/lids are there on a pallet?

Sampson Property Management
    Bob Shoemaker
    Middlebranch, Ohio

6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

What type of accounts are you going after? If your going after resi's... why not just buy what you need at Home Depot or Lowes before the storm hits? That why you'll have fresh product and If your only going through 2-3 pallets a season.... I don't think the cost savings will really amount too much..... besides if you price your accounts correctly, does it really matter if you save $1 per bag (which is a realistic amount given your quanities).......

food for thought...

Good Luck

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  7. leon

leon Senior Member

salt etc.

Please send a PM to me and I will get back to you via e-mail, Also I only recommend Morton salt at Painsville for Halite Its really not that far from Cleveland.

You would be better off buying more than one ton as I am unsure if the loader fleet can safely load you-but if you call the sales dept at Morton Painsville they will be able to tell you if thier telescoping chutes will drop that low for you-I see no issues as many single axle trucks are loaded in bulk anyway but as you only want a ton in bulk it may or may not be an issue.

leon

8. Rshoemobile

Maybe it is putting the cart before the horse, but although the business may start out with more residential than commercial, my business plan calls for us to add a number of commercial sites. My personality is one of being prepared. I hate to put things off or wonder of I'll have enough of something. I'd much rather have it sitting there waiting on me than needing it and not having it.

Bob

9. leon

leon Senior Member

salt etc.

Your not putting the cart before the horse, you just doing preventative medicine considering the salt market in bad weather years and the lack of bag product from mines due to the dreaded words (Salt Allocation) which affects the salt user.