1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting back into plowing

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by snowman123, Oct 14, 2010.

1. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

Getting back into snow plowing

Look at the second picture this first picture is wrong.

PLOW.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  2. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

Getting back into snow plowing

I was wondering if I should snow plow for the town or plow commercially? I was plowing with my dad a few years back and now I bought my truck and hooked up the plow and I am unsure what to do. As far as equipment goes I have a 2000 f250 v10 with a 8 foot fisher minute mount 1 plow setup. I went to the town office and they told me if I was going to plow for the town that they would put me on the list. I was wondering since this is the first time plowing in this town if I would even get called to plow or if I would be sitting at home. As for plowing commercially I have never done that and I was looking at a bid here is the picture of the lot below. I was wondering if it would be to much for my truck and plow. Also do you think that their is enough room to pile up snow in the lot below.

Thanks for any advice,

PLOW.jpg

PLOW.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You must be kidding!!!

4. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

parking lot to big

Maybe the parking lot is to big any way what are your thoughts remember this would be my first time doing commercial accounts if I go that route. I am thinking that the town would be a better idea but any input would be great.

Thanks,

5. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

If they want u to plow every 2-3 inches ud never leave that lot. My guess would be that ur 8 ft plow would be fine for residential or light commercial but for that huge a$$ lot ud be better off investing in a back blade or box blade....just my two sense. If all you have is an 8 footer i think i would stay away from that....

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

What I meant was that with your comments and questions, it is obvious (to me, anyway) that you are not ready for this. See Tracy89's advice. I don't know (and neither does anyone on here) if you'd get called for the town. Get a few residentials/lt commercials, just in case.

7. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Well....Brickman or USM would bid that lot out at $65 per-push and $35 to salt...Then they would find some Bonehead to sub it to for $35 per-push and $15 to salt...:dizzy:

8. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

The lot can be done with 1 truck easy...and your truck at that.

The problem is...You have no experience and probably should not be bidding on this property.

9. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

I am still unsure of what I am going to do but the problem with that lot is that their are no spots to pile the snow.

10. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

Where in NY are you, Im in Suffolk county and need to add a couple of trucks if you would like to learn from working for someone first, also if you plow for the town you need to have liability insurance, did they tell you that?

11. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

snoway

snoway they did tell me that I needed liability insurance. I am also in Suffolk Smithtown is their a phone number that I can call to talk to you my email is matt5@ssnoc.net

Thanks,