1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting around with a trailer?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PerfiCut L&L, Jan 14, 2007.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

I've been thinking about how to put together a dedicated sidewalk crew, how many people I'll need, and what equipment. Some of my ideas involve using a trailer to haul the necessary equipment. I've never hauled a trailer in the snow, and was wondering how difficult it is. I assume since tractor trailers are on the road 24 hours, as long as you drive slow enough you'd be ok, but thats just my assumption.

I have a 12' dump trailer with dual axles, that would be used for this, it weighs in I guess at almost 3k pounds empty, with equipment I'm guessing somewhere around 4500.

Your experience?

2. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I have hauled trailers in the snow. Specifically, horse trailers, and job trailers. You will be fine, just slow down a touch!

3. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I agree just take it easy, you'll be ok.

You can't compare a 18 wheeler to a Pickup and Trailer.
    The Semi (Note that name) was built as a full time puller, there more dangerous without the trailer running.(Bobtail)

4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

you may want to have a set of tire chains handy.

5. mojob

mojob Member

I pull a 12' enclosed when I'm plowing. It's loaded with a Walker w/plow, snow blower, salt spreaders and bags of salt. I didn't have any problems pulling it through 18" of snow. I pull it with a GMC K3500 dually without fancy snow tires. Since you'll be hooking and unhooking a lot you might want to invest in a trailer jack with a wheel if you don't have one already.

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Just be careful with trailer brakes in snow. You can swing that trailer around very easily. I have towed in the snow before (sometimes 200 miles with a 4 place snowmobile trailer loaded with wood... long story) and it is fine, you just need to be 4X more careful than usual. Always be thinking ahead.

7. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I sometimes pull my 18' open around. It's REALLY different on ice. Snow really isn't much different. I turn my brake controller way down. Just be careful, you'll be fine.

8. truck5029

truck5029 Member

traler in snow

As long u have weight on your axle an set the trailer brakes light an slow down an keep the lights clear you'll be OK . After 30yrs driving tractor trailer must have the balls to just do-it