1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting any "summer" work done?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NoStockBikes!!, Jan 20, 2003.

1. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

This whole dry winter stuff has got me thinking about how tough it's gotta be for the snow-dependent guys. Since many snow removal guys are landscapers in winter, have you been trying to bump some spring projects (rock beds,walls etc) up so there's something to do to make some money, or have you shifted full over to snow mode and can't really do anything but wait? Just wondering what anybody had for dry winter surival plans. As I said in another thread, I am just floored by the lack of snow here.

2. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

In the past I have been able to walls, etc. in the winter. But this winter we are in a solid freeze, and you can't really dig to do those kinds of projects. Did some emergency drain work for a parking lot where we set up temporary drains. Waiting for permits to do the permanent repairs & drain additions, then will probably try to dig for that one. We'll just need to get a bigger stronger machine than I'd normally use for that project. Had to dig a 4' x 2.5' x 40' trench in my back yard last week to repair the pipes from my well to my house (emergency). This was at the beginning of the hard freeze & it was difficult digging in the "concrete", especially because I borrowed a buddy's TLB that really wasn't big enough for the job. But it was mostly free LOL. I wanted to replace the electric line running to my garage but gave up & will try that again when temps moderate. Backfilling was a real PIA LOL. And the real kicker was after 5 days of no water, when I finally got it fixed, the shower (only 1 in our house) didn't work, so I had to smell bad even longer :rolleyes: Replaced the diverter yesterday so I can now bathe again, the neighbors are real happy about that. I have a lot of inside work lined up so I'm starting to get that scheduled now (general construction\carpentry type stuff).

Last edited: Jan 20, 2003
  3. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

We don't do any landscaping, Just mowing, And we are very dependent on snow removal, but to get through years like this you need to depend on the monthly accounts and a good budget to get through. So all we do is sit here and get bored. I huess one positive is no wear and tear on the trucks.

4. farmertim

farmertim Member

One nice thing about yearly contracts, if it ain't snow'in I still get paid and get other things done as well.
    I'm getting so many projects done on the farm I'm begining to scare myself!!!
    When your farm'in thiers always something to do!
    Good luck just the same.
    I did think of something earlier , if your not apposed to traveling you could sub up in the UP of Mi.
    its been snowing there for about 2 weeks straight.
    I haven't seen any posts by the UP'ers on this service, but I imagine they could use some help.