1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting another Truck.... Question about Plow/Diesel/and Voiding the Warranty

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PlowKid150, Nov 26, 2004.

1. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

I know this has been addressed, but it is still a gray area for me. Ok here is the scoop. Right now i own an 04 Ford 250 SD with v10... Anyways, i am almost ready to buy another truck with my father, which will be used mostly to tow our big boat, and for a personal driver... it is a 2004 leftover F-250 Harley Davidson Edition with the 6.0 liter Diesel. The truck is an Extended cab not a crew cab, with a short bed. IT is basically the same truck that i own now, but it is a diesel and has the harley package. My question for anyone out there who may know, is, does the harley package include the same suspension as a regular 250 SD, or is it weaker. Another thing is about plow prep from the factory. My gas truck came with plow prep, the Diesel harley does not have plow prep. Tell me about voiding, if that is a myth or what, and can the 04 diesel short bed extended cab harley handle the 8 foot ultramount western without any modifications. My father is nervous about buying a truck that does not come with the plow prep because he is big on warranty issues. Any help would be appreciatted... ASAP as we are negotiating this truck all day tommorow.... and if we get it i am ordering the plow soon since it's gettin to be that time of year....

Thanks, Kevin

2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

All real good questions to ask your dealer.
    Sounds like you are interested in a truck that is on the lot and not a special order one.

3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

The issue seems to be weight. The diesel engine quietly adds a lot of weight to front end of truck before you even slap a plow on it, add in a plow and it could exceed factory GAWR of front axle hence the warranty issue. It is quite a pickle. Dodge quietly starting putting bigger and stronger front axles in their trucks in 03 because of premature axle pivot failures and GM does not offer a plow prep for their Dmax powered trucks either and likely for same reasons. The net result of all of this is that the truck will not break but is my have shorter front end component life than a gas powered truck and hence the warranty issues.

4. JCKL

JCKL Junior Member

I have the Plow Prep on my 04 duramax

5. Tarkus

Good deal, I have heard a lot complain about not being able to get one. Is your a std cab or extended cab.

6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've got an F250 powerstroke without the prep. package and I had no problems when I still had my warranty.

7. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

Is the 04 Dmax a 2500HD or 3500? Our 02 2500hd Dmax didnt come with the plow prep as an option.

8. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

I went through this a couple of months ago....The duramax only offers plow prep on reg cabs and extended cabs with the short bed only. Crew cabs are outta luck, unless it's a gas engine. I bought the Crew cab with the gas motor for that reason. The weight on a dieselpowered truck is heavy to begin with and adding a plow just adds to the weight. A lot of plow companies will not put a plow on a diesel crew cab truck and although the dealer will say they stand behind it, I don't like having the dealer hold any damage over my head. I believe that the Fords are the same way ,with exception to the 2005 Crew Cabs w/diesel engine which allow anything to be hung on the front end and warranteed....

9. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Yep, thats why i just built my 05 Crew cab diesel short bed F350 today! hope she's here before the snow is

10. Tarkus

I do not really care for Dodges but I do not think you would have any warranty issue with them and a plow since the upgraded their front axle in 03. It looks so massive it makes even Fords front axle pale in comparison. It is one serious looking axle.

11. Robber80

Robber80 Member
    from Vermont

i have a 04 f350 6.0 with the plow package, which includes heavier front springs. the dealer told me that they don't offer a plow package on the crewcab superdutys. mines extended cab. so its all good.