1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

getting accounts

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by totalsnow of ky, Oct 15, 2004.

1. totalsnow of ky

totalsnow of ky Junior Member

I have a lawn treatment bus 3rd year .I have bought a snowplow and salt spreader and have a 4x4.I have had to take a winter job for the last 3 seasons .Last year i thought i would just shoot myself.lol j/k I have a sales talent that most would die for .Heres my question .how many accounts ,in a tight 30 mile radius can a truck handle ??I realize there are alot of variables, I do have a back up truck as well I have picked up 4 accounts so far but i don't want to get to many and screw things up . i have never plowed so ill be slow as heck . i have alot of common sense so i feel like I'll pick up on it just fine .all i want to do is keep a cash flow going till spring.so i don't have to work some where and get talked to like I'm stupid!!
  2. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite! I would narrow my radius to 15 miles, if it is possible. 30 miles is a long way to drive in winter conditions. Get you about 10 - 15 regular accounts and some residential drives on the side. (do the residential when you finish your regulars) That should be enough to get you started. If you find that you have a lot of extra time then add a few more. Remember that the more snow accumulation that you have the longer it takes to complete a job. Don't forget about insurance. BOAST pumpkin:
  3. gpin

gpin Senior Member

We aim for about 4 - 6 hrs of work per truck per storm. When the big storm hits you can still handle it. We sell prompt service to our commercial clients and if you go for too much business the accounts on the end of your route won't be happy. Boast is right, keep your account close or you will suffer in the big storms.
  4. totalsnow of ky

totalsnow of ky Junior Member

great sounds good