Snow Plowing Forum banner

Getting a used plow - how to check it out

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Indy 
#1 ·
After 2 years now of shoveling our drive its time to get a plow. Yeah snow blower would do, but this way I can also take care of my folks drive and some friends down the way. I have been reading quite a few posts on the site and i am pretty sure what I need to get, but my problem now is I have now idea on how to test a used plow see if it works.

If you were buying a used plow what would you look for? Is there a way to test the hydraulics with out hooking up all the wiring?

#2 · (Edited)
unless its mounted to the truck you can jump the motor with jumpercables to see if it functions. you would have to at least have the control pad wired. i bought a meyer that "worked" after repairing everything that was broken and fabbing a mount, flushing the system, hooked everything up and the blade dropped to the ground slowly supporting it's own weight. had to pull the pump back apart and replace all seals. just because it moves in all directions it should doesn't mean there still may be underlying issues. look for rust pitting in the shafts of the lift/ angle cylinders, fluid residue on components around seling areas. overall inspection for cracks and worn metal.

#3 ·
Buying from a dealer will take alot of guess work out of it plus they can mount it and offer service. May cost a little more upfront but will be worth it in the end.

#4 ·
Stopped by a local dealer today yeah it snowed, but I stopped in around 3pm. I asked about a used plow and she quickly told me that I should have start looking in August. They are a snow way and boss dealer and didnt even offer new plow options. I guess its back to criagslist and ebay

#5 ·
She is 100% correct. During snow season alot of dealers are taking care of their current customers. But she could have at least gave you some pricing or what they have available.

#6 · (Edited)
Sounds like she is a miserable _______well you know. Truth is maybe those were the people you should not deal with anyhow.

Hydro - You told him to go to a dealer then when he gets put down by the lady you say she is 100% right? He went cause you told him to and that's the best you got? Look I don't make friends here and quite frankly don't care but when someone does a bum deal like that I'm going to say something. Dude, what you did was just plain wrong. To be 100% honest with you my opinion of you from those 2 posts is not very high to say the least. And by the way in a retail business such as a plow dealership anyone that walks through the front door is a customer and anyone they are talking to is the most current customer.

dgarnier - Try some other dealers in your area when you find the one that is happy to have you there and doesn't make you feel like you are not welcome then you have found the dealer to do business with. Yes you can also try craigslist and ebay along with the local paper. You could also put an ad on craigslist in the wanted part, never know someone might want to get rid of one just didn't get around to putting an ad in themselves.

#7 ·
dgarnier;706181 said:
Stopped by a local dealer today yeah it snowed, but I stopped in around 3pm. I asked about a used plow and she quickly told me that I should have start looking in August. They are a snow way and boss dealer and didnt even offer new plow options. I guess its back to criagslist and ebay
i have a 8ft curtis plow for sale its 3 years old no rust

#8 ·
PLOWMAN45;713154 said:
i have a 8ft curtis plow for sale its 3 years old no rust
Thanks for the offer, but shipping would be more then the plow I think.

Anyways finding a mount for a 05 tundra is not so easy - so it looks like I might just do the deed and get a new plow. Now I am not sure if I should go with the snow way 22 or a regular duty boss or a midweight western. the boss and western will overload the front axle a bit - but in the next year or so I will be looking to upgrade to a 2500

#9 ·
There are plenty of respectable dealers who would be more than happy to service your Tundra, even in the middle of winter. The shop I use is constantly packed, does their own snow removal, but still has the time to install new and used plows. Plus, he rebuilds trade-in's over the summer and has several at all times. Look for a respectable plow manufacturer with a relatively universal mounting system and life should be good. As far as the frame mount goes, they can be purchased separately and any good plow dealer can fab something one of a kind. Just get something you know fits the new truck, and something close to the Toyota that a dealer can work with.

#10 ·
Just a thought. If you decide to go new why not make a drive across the border and buy in Canada? The reason I ask is your dollar is worth more here so you *may* pay less.

As an example, lets say you have $3000usd to spend. In Canada that money is worth $3,656.85cnd at the time of me typing this reply. You hold onto your receipt and any tax you pay at the shop you get back when you cross the border back into the USA.

I don't know, maybe your prices are lower in the States anyways. You'd have to shop around. It was just a thought...

#11 ·
checking the plow? make them hock it up to the truck , yours or theres , doesnt really matter,

watch the blade, listen to the motor.... some ppl will sit on the front of the blade, and make sure it will pick up an extra 200 lbs... ? you could also park the truck in neutral , against a pole...and see if the hydrolics will push the truck backwards when angling the blade

really , just watch out for leaks. If it has no leaks , and it moves back and forth...odds are, its g2g

look inside the electrical plug for corrotion... the plugs are easy , but not cheap to fix your self

look at the fluid level....if its low, there is a reason....

#12 ·
Been thinking about your dilemma the last few days after I posted, here's a big reason not to buy something from the internet. I bought my truck this season with the plow attached (7'8" Western Pro). Over the last few months, several things have gone wrong with the plow, mainly because of misuse by the previous owner. There are things that occur on the plow that you may not notice (or the previous owner for that matter) when you buy. For instance, on the Western you have to look closely at the pivot bolt. The A-frame on my plow was very much out of alignment from the guide of the other frame. When I looked closely, it turned out the A-Frame was abused where the pivot bolt meets, causing sloppiness and requiring welding to repair. It also prematurely wore the seals on the angle arm, leaking hydraulic fluid. The eye bolts on the trip springs hadn't been attended to, so when the springs needed to be tightened I had to force them off and replace all of them. The wiring harness was testy, and half it needed replacement. The headlights looked good, but they were shot and ended up filling with water and shorting out. In retrospect, unless you're rather handy and have a basic understanding of how the plow works, buying off the internet comes with serious risk. Just because the motor works and everything appears functional in no way guarantees success. Just make sure you have a good dealer close that stocks parts and that your garage is well stocked!

#13 ·
I bought my plow used off ebay 3 years ago never had a problem with it knock wood. So telling him not to buy online is b.s. Elite said it best test it out before you buy and don't buy if you can't test it. Drivedaydoc I don't think driving to canada and back to illinois is going to save him any money unless someone was giving the plow away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.