1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting a sweeper for salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Longae29, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

We had a minor dusting of snow here on tuesday night, there were some guys that felt the need to salt (our parking lots had plenty of residue on them) these parking lots were glaringly obvious yesterday (lots of salt laying around on dry pavement) then last night, i noticed at least one of these parking lots being swept (by the same company who salts it) now I'm wondering how much of a killing these guys are making, salt when not really necessary, then sweep it up, could they then reuse it? I'm thinking its possible....

2. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

What!? That's terrible!

3. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Sounds like the Walmart around here.

4. duramax8611

duramax8611 Junior Member

if there contract says salt when theres snow and sweep on weds nights and it happened to get salted tues night what are they suppose to do? the customer basically told them to do it

5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not judging. Just saying it's interesting.

6. duramax8611

duramax8611 Junior Member

i agree with you its just one of thoose situations i guess you dont think about until it happens. is there any chance that it could be a monthly service account and there just really ontop of things?

7. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Apparently just couldn't get their spreaders turned down low enough?? Probably would have been better off w/ liquid.:dizzy:

8. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I have never heard of sweeping a parking lot in the winter. Whats the adv. to that, just to pick up the trash or what?

9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I saw a sweeping company working a couple of days ago. I dont know they were picking up. there was a couple of inches of snow on the ground left over at the end of the storm. I know that sweeping companies usually change the trash bags in cans on properties so maybe they just do that if they cant sweep.

10. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I offer sweeping every spring. I usually not only do my lots but other contractors as well. Good business and I get that one last check in may..

I always recycle the left over material. Its usually just real broken down sand, salt content has completely disappeared. But we screen out the crap and remix it for next season.

As for sweeping in the winter. I think thats pretty shady. The could have left it as a pre treat ment, ut maybe the customer complained about it all over the lot, and worried it would track in.

Customers are all a bit different minded sometimes.

J.

11. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The Wal mart that I contract for has the lot sweep twice a week all year long unless there is snow on the lot. The sweeping is to clean up trash and dirt to keep the lot looking good and so dirt doesnt get tracked into the store.

12. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

if they are seasonal , or per application, then they might be over aplying in the ffirst place , so i doubt they are making extra off of it,

If they are per ton, thats a great business plan

13. procut

procut Senior Member

I was walking out of home depot the other day and someone had spread A LOT of water softener salt all over the sidewalk. I thought to myself, you could sweep this stuff up in use it in your water softener, lol.

14. 122fox

122fox Member

they sweep the wal mart near me when salting the parking lot, it looks like they salt the main drives and then after is turns to water they spread it around to all the parking areas, but u always see parts of the brushes laying in the lot.

15. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Sounds like it must be a Walmart thing cos they do the same at one next to a lot we do. One night there was a salt truck at one end of the lot and a sweeper at the other :eek:

16. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

You can not re-use salt and sand. The sand itself becomes useless. The sand you buy at the plant is sharp pieces of sand that creates the traction. Once cares drive over it and it get used it rounds out the sand making it dull and worn. Its like beach sand then.

17. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

So then why couldnt you reuse salt?

18. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I guess you could, but you would also be "reapplying all the dirt you sweep up.

Since salt is big $$$$$ now i guess you could go sweep/steal peoples salt from there lots

19. MrBillsLawn

MrBillsLawn Member

A few years ago we expanded in the sweeping industry to try to gain more commercial clients. We sweep our lots year round. Most sweepers run water in the hopper to weigh down trash, and keep it off the "filter" screen. Once you get back to the shop you just dump it all in the dumpster water, salt, trash and all. I suppose if you really had a lot of time on your hands you could dump it into a pile and separate it all, but not worth it if you ask me. Also most of the time in the winter we don't even turn our vac on, we just clean by hand.......no point in wasting all that fuel.

Most of our sweeper accounts are a monthly charge.....just like trash service. You don't get pissed at your trash service if you don't fill your bin to the very top......you just pay the monthly charge. If it is snowing we plow, if its not we sweep. We get paid the same amount if we are there for 10 min, or 3 hours. The main purpose is to "police" the lot. We have had many things to pick up. Any employee can go out with a broom and a dust pan, but what do they do if someone dumps 3 yards of shingles in the lot......or a couch.......or dead animals? I have seen all of these things. A lot of times i think that business is better off doing what they do best.....making money selling merchandise. Hope that sheds a little light.

20. gary42095

gary42095 Member

for the most part i am with Bill. if you went out with a vac sweeper specific to pick up salt... yea i would say you could reuse it. But do you want diapers, glass, cigarette butts ect ect in your salt pile? You can't get it all out no matter what you do.
    as for re-using sand from one season to another, Dave is correct in saying it gets dull.. crushed into a powder like. it can be used.. but it is just a filler and not doing really what its meant for, and you can't get everything out of it. Also, accoring to the D.E.P. those wonderful people, "used" sand is considered non-hazardous contaminated waste and is supposed to be disposed of accordingly. Which i don't really agree with... but when your picking up thousands of tons of sand a year..... you can't really fly under the radar
    as fpr swee[ing year round... people are slobs year round and dump trash year round, sweeping is not only to pickup sand, and in fact, picking up the sand is more a byproduct of sweeping for trash in the winter. "spring sand cleanup" in meant for picking up sand a vacuum truck picks it up but also sand blasts every part of the sweeper doing so.