1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting a free riding mower.

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by farmerkev, Aug 24, 2008.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I know, I know, not an atv, but, I figured this might be an okay place to ask. I am getting a free John Deere r72, I really dont like the way those goofy things look, but its a John Deerem and, ITS FREE! Its got a little bitty 8hp briggs and straton on it. Just wondering what a small maybe 36" blade on it would do. I know people out there have probably used small 8hp engines, I wouldnt be using it for making money, just something to goof around on at home in the winter, with some weight, what do you think? Like I say, just to play around on at home.

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

lol....go for it!! funny thing is .. five bucks says it will soon become your most reliable and productive peace of sidwalk equiptment

3. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I figure I can "tune" the engine a bit, I have a freind who "specializes" in that department, Im taking a welding class this year, so I can build a little plow for it.

4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I dont think power is going to be the issue. I would be more concerned about traction. Get yourself a set of tire chains and weights on the back. And be careful about letting friends "tune" the 8 horse Brigs. He probably doesnt care to much about how long it will run without a govenor :D

5. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Okay, now I know Ill do it, but the question is, how big, Im sure I wont do a full size 48" or whatever size blade is standard, I just need to figure out what blade sizes there are that would work.

I like the new avatar ABES, even though Im still a Ford guy.

6. Elwer Lawn Care

Elwer Lawn Care PlowSite.com Addict

just make sure the blade is wider than the tractor, 42' maybe