1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting a 1500 ready for plow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Walkermowers1, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Walkermowers1

Walkermowers1 Junior Member
    from Wall NJ

i need help on know what to do either buy a 2500hd or put a plow on my 1500?
    i was wondering what should i do to get my 1500 ready for snow plowing?

2. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

What year is your truck?
  3. Walkermowers1

from Wall NJ

its a 2005 or even i should a put a plow on it
  4. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

If you're plowing commercially get the 2500HD. If you're just doing your driveway, and a couple others, the 1500 is fine!
  5. Walkermowers1

from Wall NJ

im looking to plow a couple parking lots and small drive ways
  6. Zigracer

Zigracer Member

This last storm here in the Northeast put 25 inches of snow down in my town. I've got 13 residential drives. I had no problem with my 2010 1500 with a Meyer 7 1/2 foot poly. I had a Ford F250 last year with a Fisher 8ft heavy duty plow. Sure it was bigger and stronger, but the new truck did just fine.
  7. 330kDMAX

330kDMAX Junior Member
    from NH

If youre going to keep the 1500 get a 7.5' light duty plow and get either Timbrens or Aircells from Air Lift. Just my .02 though.
  8. jandjcarpentry

jandjcarpentry Senior Member
    from MA

I have a Titan with a Boss sport duty plow 7'6". It handled a good size comm. lot and some driveways no problem. The front end sits a little low so I just orded a set of Timbrens for the front end.
  9. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Hey your the guy that was asking on my youtube videos! well like I said on they they work bu require a bit more work on the truck to make them plow worthy biggest things you will need is timbrens an hd fan clutch and maybe bigger alternator
  10. BIGGB9

BIGGB9 Senior Member

I have a 2010 GMC 1500 crew cab with a western HTS plow. I put a 2 inch rough country leveling kit on it. It plows great and the HTS is well built. The pros to plowing in a 1/2 ton is they are a little cheaper to maintain than a 3/4 ton. If you are plow a lot of big commercial lots all night long then a 3/4 ton is the way to go. I have a few small commercial lots and a few residential my 1/2 is prefect for it.