1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gettin it done Russian Style

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by RepoMan207, Nov 12, 2010.

1. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Snow Removal by Jet Engines
    Posted By Jake Easton on January 15, 2010

The Russians don't mess around when it comes to snow removal

jet-engines-snow-removal.jpg

This is how Russians melt snow and ice during their intense winters, they strap Klimov VK-1 jet engines from Mig-15s onto their trucks.

That'll fix mother nature! :mechanic:

I'm not so sure these will work so well for residential use :D

jet-engines-snow-removal.jpg

2. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

awesome! would love to see a video

3. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Is that real? The Russians are friggin' crazy!

What do they use for ice? Afterburner?

4. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

I gatta tell you, the only real concern I would have implementing one of these machines in my fleet would be.........
    wether or not my Buddy B&B will be able to walk me through repairs still.?.? :laughing:

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

That seems to be a bit counter productive. I would think (there I go again :rolleyes:) that the power of the jet would merely push the train / trolley in the opposite direction, and god forbid if it encounters a wall of snow, which will only build the force of resistance that much more. It didn't even appear to be able to knock that small windrow of snow over.

Atleast with a truck, there is resistance in the way of traction between the tires of the truck and the pavement. I bet it makes one hell of a Jack Break :D!

7. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

8. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

With all the heat coming out the end of one of those engines don't they have to worry about doing damage? like buring the wooden Ties or better yet changing the properties of the steel? (my little understanding of metal working is that when you heat and cool steel it actually changes..)

9. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Ya, I don't think I would want to get to close to the house with that.

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

Nahhh, but it makes one hell of a smores roaster :D

11. SDP Hauling

SDP Hauling Senior Member

umm....seems that there would be a better way lol

12. salopez

salopez Senior Member

seems like a fast way to clear military runways. no need to move twice or stack...

13. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

Those are crazy....i've seen the train ones before, seems like a blower or plow would work better. Did you guys notice the huge tanks on those trucks for fuel to run the engines. I bet they burn a ton of money in fuel every time they fire those boys up.

14. aperfcrcle

aperfcrcle Senior Member

I would have to agree.. Very conflicting ideas... A jet engine set up to thrust something in reverse VS. a truck driving forward. Hurts my head, they must get great gas mileage.

15. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I'm thinking the main benefit of the heat is to thaw ice and snow around rail switches. I doubt if a plow or a blower could get that done.
    We have some trains that haul coal to power plants around her but I've never seen any jet blowers.