1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Get truck ready for plowing

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Cyndric, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Cyndric

Cyndric Junior Member

Hello. I have a 93' Chevy K3500, single axle 1 ton pickup with the 7.4L 454 engine that has 110,000 miles on it. I would like to start using this truck for plowing this winter and I'm looking for advice on upgrades for the truck to get it ready for plowing. I'll probably be starting out with an 8' Western Straight blade this year since I can get a used working one complete with mount for $1,000, but next year I'm thinking of going with an 8 foot Boss v plow.

The transmission was rebuilt with heavy duty parts 2,000 miles ago, also a trans cooler and a trans temp guage was installed at time of rebuild. New brakes all the way around, new rear shocks (cheapos) and a new clutch for my fan. Rear brakes are the larger 3 1/2" brakes that are standard on a dually, even though it's not a dually. Truck is in excellent condition inside and out and it has a ton of power. Is there anything that should be upgraded on this truck before I start plowing with it?

Along with any upgrade recommendations, I'm also looking for advice on front shocks, because mine are getting fairly worn.

How do I tell if my truck has an oil cooler on it or not? Should I get one if it doesn't?

Also, my trans temp guage almost always reads around 200-220 degrees after the truck warms up, no matter what the temp is outside. Isn't that kind of high for not pushing or pulling anything? Is it possible the guage is bad?

Thank you for any help you can provide me with!