1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Get this!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ICindrich, Feb 11, 2006.

1. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

I don't have many accounts, so I planned on subbing for my buddy, we agreed on $45 an hour, my truck, ect. I saw his wife today, (she kinda wears the pants) and she asked how much I was charging. I said, thinking she knew, 45. She said I was nuts, that they usually pay subs 30 an hour. I said for thirty an hour, my couch sounds pretty good, and any way, they were paying me $20 to plow with their truck! outragous isn't it!!!

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

$20/hr? That's WAAAAY too little! I make around $50/hr, but of course, I don't sub, I have my own clients.

3. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser Senior Member

I make between $75 - $300 per hour, my truck would not move for that little.

4. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

subs who are on handcrew make $25 an hour and there is no rush! Operators around us make $45-$55 an hour using the supplied equipment.

5. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser Senior Member

I guess I should say that the money I make is from my own company not subbing out.

6. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

You should tell your buddy's wife to give you a kiss before she **** you! :D

7. Stan

Stan Senior Member

$65-$75 on the Island is the going rate.

8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

That's damn funny!!!:D :D :D

9. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

Yup, I'm gonna do the few jobs I have, watch some tv and then maybe try to wrangle up some new customers this afternoon. Not worth my time, beating done to my truck nor the hit to my pride to push for 30/ per hour.

Ivan

10. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

His wife probably should learn a little more about business, before she starts shooting the breeze about prices. Did you blast her? you shouldn't even listen to that crap. Go strait to your buddy and tell him that you're upset about it, and make sure he knows that you are still planing on 45$. His wife is probably just a busybody trying to act like she knows what is going on.

-Thann

-Thann

11. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

equipment and operator costs

As it has been said here many times some people do not know how much it costs to operate a snow plow truck. One year at snow plowing you should have a pretty good handle on the real cost of operation. Take the cost of equipment, ordinary - necessary expenses divided by the hours you operate the truck gives you a good number of cost of operation. Then you have the risk factor and the interest you would earn if you put the money for down payment in the bank. At $30 per hour I know I could not make the break even point. Is she aware that many workers out there make that kind of money with out furnishing a truck or equipment? Commercial insurance is very expensive also.

If you are going to go broke why work at it.

12. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

Ya, I told her to screw, and am taking it easy today, and yes, it is very expensive to run a plow truck. I even think that $45 is a little low, but since my truck and plow are both small, I think it is fair. On the point of talking to my buddy, if he goes around his wife's back, he'll get his a$$ kicked and his balls removed, if you know what I mean. Funny thing though, this guy plows a developement that has drift problems, and for the 05' blizzard borrowed my father's back hoe, free of charge and made some dough with it. If he calls me this week, he's gonna be getting charged out the a$$. Any way, I'm done venting, I'll live and learn, and work harder at developing my own route.

Ivan

13. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

you will get educated ...

Oh yes you live and learn. You will always get educated. That is what this site is about "learning from others". I am old and gray haired and learn every day. You can learn something everyday if you pay attention.

Just remember "you will pay for your education". This was told to me by a very wise man, my father. I choose to learn from others not the school of hard knocks ! (little humor)

I turned down a job today. Man was shoveling off a parking lot with a 16 inch wide shovel. I ask him if he wanted snow removal he said he had a card with a name on it and man wanted $25 to plow his lot. I said you better call him as I use to plow that lot years ago for the old owner and got $48 then. Never gave him my card. There is always someone wanting you to work for nothing. I choose not to work for them.

14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

That's one major reason I will not work in any capacity with a friend who has his significant other involved in the buisiness.
    If he's not the one in charge he should never quote prices, if she's not the one in charge she should keep her trap shut. Period! If he get's in "trouble" going behind her back in his busines......

I love my wife to death, but her helping is limited at working a shovel with me and eventually running the accounting to bill the customers. Absolutly no say in prices or business decisions- she doesn't know the business and she knows that.

15. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

I know what I get paid for OT at my regular job, so my rates for plowing or subbing out count that plus my expenses and profit margin. Either way I am not home with the family, so if someone wants me to work for them but to pay me less than I can get at my regular job for those hours, they are out of luck. Besides at my reg job its all their tools, equip, truck, etc. No expense to me.

16. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

My uncle gets $74/hr with a F250 and 8ft blade for the city, he is getting my on the city next year!!

17. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Next time just walk up to her, smack her, and demand $90 an hour. I then bet she'll give ya $45 an hour!

18. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

She'll get hers eventualy, but any way thank all of you guys for reasuring me that I wasn't nuts. I went out today and made a couple bucks, alot more than I would've at 30 an hour and I didn't have to deal with any B S. So I'm just gonna take it slow and build my little bussiness rather than subbing for any one. Oh yeah, and my father's been self employed for over thirty years, never let my mother or his new fiance into the biz, and I'm carrying on the tradition. House is too small to mix work and pleasure, if you know what I mean!
    Thanks again
    Ivan

19. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

LOL a 454 Chevy will burn damn near $30 worth of Fuel per hour

20. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

make him pay as agreed

friends are friends but business is money and money makes people greedy!
    put it all on paper and go with what is on paper.if you dont you wont have your friends,and possible no money.if he stated forty five in the beginning then bill him for forty five,HE IS MAKING MONEY!there is more work than his go find it and you can make as much as you need.