1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Get Ready, Northeast!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by thelawnguy, Jan 5, 2002.

1. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Doesn't look too bad.

Geoff

3. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

my town looks like it's half 1-3, half 3-6. i'm right on the coast so i bet 1-3". funny thing is in the newspaper today they have a picture of one of the new Sterlings with a plow on and chains. I fixed both snowblowers working as of wednesday, flyers up, and enough gas in the truck right now. i've been getting quite a bit of interest in plowing, but i'll see how i make out.

if we get this storm it will be my first time out plowing, so i'm going to take it slow and learn as i go.

my snowblowers will be topped off tomorrow, my 5 gallon pails of ice ban topped off and the truck will be driven into the plow tomorrow night with the pins in, jack down. if we get anything, hook up 4 connectors, pull the jack. if we get nothing plowable, pull the pins and go to school monday.

personally, since i live on the coast i think we'll end up with 3". where i work i bet we get 6".

i think that post was long enough, but since i can officially be a plower on plowsite i wanted to voice my thoughts on what be my first snowfall plowing.

bryan

4. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

The dates for that snowfall are 1/5/01 thru 1/7/01

Hope it's just a new year glitch.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2002
  5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Good luck Snow, Let us all know how ya do the first time out.

Geoff

6. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Go get 'em, Snow. Have a good first time.

Bruce

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Good luck, Snow. Hope you have better luck than I did last year. Got talked into doing a long drive for $40 that should have been at least $80, mainly cause I hadn't set a price in advance. First year I chaulked up to "learning".

The Weatherbug alarm was flashing when I got up this morning. Shows 3"-6" for tonight. It was pretty accurate last year.

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Im in them middle of the 6-12 zone according to millenium weather,but weather channel is saying 4-7 now,last night they said 1-2.I dont think they know what we are going to get yet,Im ready either way.

9. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

John,

If you could wait till Monday night I will give you an exact forcast for your area.:D

Good Luck

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

NWS has upped the forecast for my area to 4-8, with 10 possible. Most between 8pm and 4am.

11. snow

just checked out weather.com and read the NWS warning. I guess the low pressure and cold air will be here and the potential for 5-10" does exist. After i finish my homework, i plan on going over my equipment and calling my customers.

Bryan

12. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i plan on heading out around 3 am. all the main accumulations should be down by then. morning commute should be a real treat.

13. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Got one spreader loaded with salt ready to do some pre apps. Plows are all on. Lots of contractors calling to get sand. Plus a few last minute residentials this morning.

Supposed to start here around 4-6pm. Looks like the first full event for me.

14. matthew Urban

matthew Urban Senior Member

The NWS is saying 5-10" and possibly more for me and TWC is saying 6-12" by midnight.

15. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

This is a fast mover,and will dump a lot of snow real fast according to TWC.It should be out of here by midnight according to them,giving us time to clean everything up before morning.

16. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

millenium weather has an update stating a second system will form and possibly give my area another 2-4 inches during the day monday. winters finally here i think.

17. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

Pretty light here in S.Ontario. Only expecting around 2" by the time it ends tonight. Went out this morning and did a pre-app of salt at most locations. Might not even need to plow those ones later, maybe salt again. What a difference a year makes.

18. BerksLawn

BerksLawn Junior Member

Can someone say RAIN :(

19. captjack

captjack Member

IM with BERKS. Got to get the plow put on to push all the water
    out of the parking lots tonight. This sucks! I get so sick of the weather forcasting in the mid-atlantic. Im not going to watch anymore, just going to wait till i see white stuff. It is the worst when you get everything ready only to have rain, this happens every time.
    CaptJack

20. snow

i got back from the fire dept. put a 5 gallon pail of ice ban in the truck, 2 25lb bags of salt, a shovel, and a coffee can to spread the salt with.

as long as we get something to plow i'll be happy tomorrow.

Bryan

here's a pic of my truck at the fire station next to the assistant cheifs plow truck

p1060005.jpg