1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Get on Board Western

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Fourbycb, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Can anyone explain to me why Western has not many accessories for there plows and other products. I f you look at Boss , Fisher, or Blizzard they all have tons more accessories a person can purchase than western, Just to throw out some ideas how about the strap on leg control box like Boss or a Steel Sno Foil deflector like Fisher or anything else. I cant believe Western has been around for so long and yet lagging so far back in the accessories Dept.

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe you should be asking Western..Send them a e-mail.........

3. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Yea but arent they always the first to come out with the newest technology like the wideout, the ultra mount and all those big spreaders they produce.

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Blizzard came out with the first expandable plow.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

As I understand it the wideout was designed by some other company and then Western bought them out & renamed it as a Western product. As for the limited accesories I don't have an answer. I agree with Twinman, ask Western.

6. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

Wideout, Blizzard had that what 10 years ago??? Western is way behind the ages and "I" feel they are dieing out and be overtaken. I feel they make good products but the dealer support has gone away and they simply dont promote their products.

The Contractor Grade was a nice step ahead, if only they pushed it in every way they could. Maybe they should hire me to get them back on top, Boss is taking over the Country! I am a Western fan and have never been let down by their products. I sat back and watched the same thing happen to International Harvester vs John Deere, there is a Deere dealer on every block now and Red tractors are a thing of the past.

Seriously Western I really do have ideas to help push the product...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  7. JPK Excavating

JPK Excavating Junior Member

Um western fisher and blizzard are douglas dynamics there all one big happy family it is just a matter of preference on what mount you like and what type of trip system... If western is behind so is fisher and blizzard. There great plows if it aint broke don't fix it

8. billet-boy

billet-boy Member

Our south Indy Western dealer is worthless the site members here are ten times more help then our dealer.

9. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

The Blizzard Corporation was not always a Douglas Disaster. They were independently owned by the inventing family until 2007. At that time DD took the Niemela's "inferior design" and reworked it giving birth to the Douglas Disasters we call the Western Wipeout, Fisher XLS and the Blizzard 8100. :dizzy:

10. JPK Excavating

JPK Excavating Junior Member

I don't sEe many issues imo if its such a disaster buy something else this isn't the forum for you. I have had great luck currently 18 trucks all western or fisher sorry you haven't had the same imo I want it to go up down left right and be reliable for me that's what they do. Someone will always want more or complain about the products but hey u have choices so stick to yours but don't.
    Bad mouth company's that's products have been feeding familys for years

11. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I totally agree with JPK I have been a faithful Western user since 1982 and have never had a defect or flaw or breakdown in that time. In 29 years of plowing I have blown 2 Hyd hose's No motors or electial new cutting edge every season and since owning a wideout for a year now without a single problem I can say this was one of the better Western plows I have ever own

12. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I'm just here to make sure people don't forget about the first 7-8 years that the expanding wing plows were on the market before Douglas came along and decided to "improve" them. Think what you want. Thumbs Up

13. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Everyone has to live through the growing pains. All manufacturers have lemons from time to time. After all isn't that how we learn to build better systems? I have been working on plows not for about six years and I have noticed that lately Western has been having more issues with forgetting to weld parts on the plows and sometimes pack two left hand pieces & no right hand of the same piece in the shipping boxes. Tech support has dropped a bit too as some of the old hands I used to deal with three years ago are no longer there. But that is economic reality. When times are tuff sometimes you can't afford to keep the smart / expensive employees and have to hire cheaper lesser skilled workers. Personally I like the Western products and would love to buy and install a wideout & hydraulic ice breaker on my F550 service truck but unfortunately when the snow is flying I am too busy fixing my client's plows to be out all night running my own rig. Maybe next year I will rig up and send my 21 year old daughter out to run it LOL!!