1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

get off your ass!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kenny, Dec 23, 2009.

1. kenny

kenny Junior Member
    from mass.

I love when people watch me plowing there parking spots from inside there condo,hopeing i hit there car instead of moving the friggin thing!

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

or they call you just as your finishing up to tell you they moved and want their space cleaned.

3. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Sometimes you just wanna leave a good amount of snow on either side of their vehicle , but that screws the guy that moved his vehicle for you.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I plow a couple of apartment buildings for retirement age types. This is my third season at one, we've got it down. Fortunately only three or four drive cars. If a storm is coming, they put all the cars in one corner. I plow, they move, I come back later to clean the corner. Works great.

The new place this year doesn't have much parking. I plow as close as I can, and any empty spots if it works out. They need to shovel the rest.

5. kenny

kenny Junior Member
    from mass.

we need to get a couple of those accounts! these people suck.they come out to clean off there car you think there gonna move then they walk back in there house.

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You don't even know how much this sets me off onto a rage.
    In the past (4+yrs ago) I would bite my tongue and smile while they came out and moved the car while I sat there waiting to do the one last spot.

Now I leave it telling them I will get on the nightly clean up and then pull away without looking back. Each time I have done this I do not have a problem the next time. I have no tolerance for moronic people anymore and I know I should probably get on some new age drug to help me smile more but as many stupid people as there are in the world today I would end up having a Joker type smile just before I OD'ed off of them. :dizzy:

What gets me is the last 2 events I have had 2 different guys that plow a hotel across the street from my lot stop and watch me plow for over 45 mins. Not sure if they are padding their time or they are getting tips by watching me plow. :rolleyes:

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Just talk to them to let them know what they can do to help you do your job better.

8. AGMI

AGMI Member
    from NE Mass

We just had a storm and we kinda specialize in mid to larger size residential complexes. One new site (mind you we had 13" of snow) started moving thier cars into the middle of the roadway while we were finishing up our last pass through. (We use trucks and skids with pushers) They paralyzed my operation. While we were going through with the pusher with a full load, they would stop the operator and ask him to clean the spot. He had no choice but to clean it as they were parked right in his way. This happened 30 or so times. These were the stupidest people I have ever seen.

9. kenny

kenny Junior Member
    from mass.

I dont own the company i just do what i can at each property and go on to the next property. and back and forth all night.

10. parnellyj

parnellyj Junior Member
    from MT

If one of Our Truck's leave a Lot and They call Even 5 minutes later because a car move. We charge A $35.00 return drop fee this has worked rather well.

11. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Used to push the snow up from both ends of the parked vehicles ( only the ones who always left their cars in the way ) now I just plow around with the blade angled to leave a large roll of snow around them. The ones that bother me are the ones that sit in the window and watch me carefully clean all the snow from 3 sides of their car then come out to move the car and want me to plow the remaining snow.

12. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

i had a account last year that wanted me to clean out between all the parked cars, i told them we dont do that. they had cars in there that would sit for days at a time. the clerk said if i didnt they was goin to call my boss, i said you can call me, I am the boss. long story short her boss told her we dont do that....

13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How about the opposite. Your plowing 100,000 sqft lot and you only have 10 spaces to go and the guy parks right where you didn't finish and he won't park somewhere else because it's "his' spot.

14. Kubota 8540

:realmad::angry: I plow a nursing home parking lot and the people who work there are creatures of habit. If they had to park somewhere other than their usual parking space they would be lost and confused all day. I use to have them trained as where to park when it snowed and that was great. Made my job easy, but not anymore.

15. triadpm

triadpm Member
    from 21771

I actually had it easy this year only a few idiots. They would park in a clean spot that I had cleared so that I could a start on 5 or 6 more. Of course when I left they had some that rolled off the blade next to their car door. Stupid people should have to pay extra live.

16. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I love when they clear a spot on the windshield to see when moving the car, move to an area that you just plowed, then they clean the rest of the car off in the already plowed area. DUH.

17. Kubota 8540

Gotta love that. How about when they clean the car off at the gas pump so they can share their snow with everyone waiting to get gas? All the while talking on the cell phone and doing a fine job on the car?

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Have a few school teachers that do that to me.

Had a breakdown last year and was scrambling to finish up. One school has two parking areas. A big one for the teachers and where the kids get dropped off. And a small one down buy the kitchen. Had the big one done, and just started the small one. I noticed a car waiting at the entrance. She sat there for a couple of minutes. So I get out of the truck to tell her I'll be another ten minutes or so. And there's a hundred spaces on the other side. Not making this up - She - "But I park down here" Me - "I don't know what to tell you" Got back in the truck and finished plowing.

19. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

MY god I hate this one! I have an engineering firm I take care of... you wanna talk creatures of habit? Lot holds x hundred cars and in reality they need half that. Last year, had to fight with this guy to NOT park in front of the snow pile for the main aisle... best part was he left for lunch, got takeout, and came back while I was clearing that aisle--parks in it while I'm mid-push then makes a huge deal when I'm tapping on his window. ***** deliberately roosted me to pulling out. Shoulda gone and told his boss but didn't.

What is his reason for taking this spot? Its nowhere near the building, entrances, smoking areas, or anything else. According to him, its the only spot in the lot where his remote start will work without him having to stand up from his desk:rolleyes: So he's so lazy he won't stand up to click the button... but he'll walk 3x as far and knowlingly block the snow piling area.

Yup.... engineers.... :realmad: in all honesty the rest have been really good there. Just this one goof who "cant" park anywhere else.

20. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

oh ya !! all the time, that and pull behind you as your backing up and they just sit there, :realmad: