1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Get A Load Of This

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by thundercat99, Feb 14, 2004.

1. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

What shoud I do Ive been working my tail of lining up new buisness, for next year nice big comercial accounts churches buisness and shopping centers nice gravy work good pay.

My buddy my partner I dont know what to call him. Was suppose to a buisness partner, problem is we dont see eye to eye on next year. He wants to do drive ways, thinks there is money in it.
    On top of this new idea he wants his own accounts, not ours. Also he is putting a driving limit, in other words he doesnt want to drive to were the gravy accounts are his cut of is 10 min,s away from my good accounts. what am I supose to do, give up on the partnership or what. sounds like the only answer, I want to grow and he doesnt drive ways are a waste of time in my opinion. I myself would like to expand I can get the work I guess I will have to get the trucks too.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?????

2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

well i think there is surely money in drive ways. and some guys i know only do drives, but i also feel to expand a company you must look farther than ten minutes away.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For any business, especially a partnership, there needs to be a Business Plan. This will spell out goals and how to reach those goals. Now, this should answer your question. If you can't develop a Business Plan, there is no business....

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Work on a business plan then show it to your partner with any arguments pro and con thought out before hand.
    You could get some of your own trucks and get some subcontractors. There is more money and work in big lots and complexs. Driveways can be good money too but they also can be alot more trouble. At say $50 a drive X 10 drives = 10 people to bill / deal with complaints. A $500 parking lot X1 = 1 person / company to deal with/bill. You need a skilled driver to do driveways well without damages. I could train the wife to go back and forth in a parking lot (yeah right, It's snowing where?)

5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Your partner wanting his own accounts is a little interesting to me. It seems he really might not want to be a partner if he has his own accounts. What happens if he breaks his truck plowing his own accounts. Are you suppose to plow your regular route, plus his route and on top of that do his seperate accounts?? Doesnt seem much like a partnership to me. you will not always see eye to eye, just like any relationship. But you need to somewhat agree on certain items.

6. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

If you can agree on things now, its better if you let him go his own way now before things get messy..Rob

7. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I had a partner for almost 3 years. I was on my own before that and am again now. It's better not to have partners, no wives girlfriends etc to get in the weay. Do it your way, when you want and theres no one to answer to. My partner wanted out of the snowremoval side. I bought out his half and he now does construction only. I grew the snow removal end about 300% over last year without him butting in the way, compaining etc. If you have your doubts now get out because years down the road you'll need lawyers and all kinds of paperwork, and it'll just be a messy thing.
    Casey

8. GpGuy84

GpGuy84 Member

Deffinately a tough situation... maybe you two could "split up", and you could handle commercial accounts, and your partner could handle residential accounts. Then you guys could offer each other help in the event of equipment failures. Otherwise maybe it would be better to totally sepperate... On the good side (if there is one) you are noticing a problem now, not next October!
    Good Luck

9. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

From what I have heared from people, most partner ships are bad. They almost never work, as well as they should. Get out.

Drive ways can make $$. I have a crew that drives 15-20 min to the next town over and plow 12 driveways for an avg. price of $28. They leave my shop and are back in my area in less than 2.5 hours.

10. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys , just started this site but been plowing for over 25 yrs had many partners and never worked out. The only people i can trust is the ones i hire. I have not been a partner for over 20 years they all are the same if you are a true pro then only one boss. That is all the buck stops here... the good and the bad. From telling customers why you cant get to them and bring home the checks.... You have to be the driver, account, labor, boss, banker, ect. Good luck on your choice

11. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Sounds like your partner is really interested in being your partner. Don't let him stop you. Get the accounts you want and can get and hire some subs.

12. Chuckwk

Chuckwk Founder

this is a test 'quick reply', reply ..... you can ignore me.

13. JMR

JMR Senior Member

JMO but partnerships rarely work out. Two people with the exact same vision & goals and how to achieve them is rare. Personally I hate residential driveways. Residential customers demand more, ***** more, no where to put snow, have to be careful not to piss-off neighbors, ***** when you wake them at 4am, ***** when the drives not cleared when they leave for work at 7am, and provide more opportunity to do damage to property. I would much rather do commercial properties.

elite1

"Drive ways can make $$. I have a crew that drives 15-20 min to the next town over and plow 12 driveways for an avg. price of $28. They leave my shop and are back in my area in less than 2.5 hours."

12 driveways x $28 = $336,
    $336/ 2.5 hours = $134.40 per hour
    I assume a crew means atleast 2 people
    $134.40 / 2 people = $67.20 per man hour

On commercial properties we are billing between $110-125 per hour (1 man, 1 truck), This is includes drive time. Start to finish. Truck on the road @ 3:00am done @ 3:00pm = 12 hours work ( one man) total gross $1400+ average. Just makes more sense to me, but thats my opinion.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  14. thundercat99

working on a solution, this is what I have so far we are going are seperate ways. We might team up on a couple comercial gigs and 1 subdivision but he wants a 50 50 split I have to do the math but I dont think it will work.

15. thundercat99

my goal is to have enough work for 2-3 trucks this includes my self Im picking up a second truck over the summer a 3/4 ton bare minimum more likely a 1 ton dump so that all my salting needs will be covered. I dont realy need my buddy It was nice to have him aboard.

16. Jim Prill

Jim Prill Member
    from Zion Il

What part of chicago are you in?

17. thundercat99

southside based out of palos heights

18. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

I had the same thing happen to me, I couldnt take it anymore so to the door he went. Lifes to short!

19. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

That's why I run my own gig. I have buddies to help plow and they get paid accordingly. Partnerships are too big of a hassle.:nod: :waving:

20. thundercat99

working out the details Im on my own for nexct year thanks for the advice you guys have been alot of help