1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Get a load of this B.S.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Andy N., Oct 11, 2005.

1. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

I have been calling, stopping by and sending renewal notices to a customer of mine who we plow/salt his parking lot, which is his dentist's office and some other offices that he rents out. I finally get a call last night and he says that he has a patients who can't pay him for his dental crowns and wishes to work it off. He wishes to work it off by plowing / salting his parking lot. I'm out, he's in. I asked him if this was a way of getting around telling me he was not happy with my service. He says no, he was very satisfied but wanted to help this dude out. What a load of crap. I wanted to MF this guy so badly, but I bit my tongue and said, well, when its paid off, gimme a call and I'll try to put you back on the route. Instead of staying angry, I went out this morning and picked up another account for more $$.

Has this ever happened to any of you guys. I didn't just get lowballed, I just got one right up the behind. I guess its my problem that this guy can't afford dental work.

PS-he doesn't even have a plow yet and owns a hauling company. Must not pay well if he can't afford dental work. Lesson also learned-Brush your teeth!!
  2. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

That sucks!!
    Whos he gonna call if this guy fails to get a plow before the snow hits?
    I would be tempted to have a very full schedule on the first big snow and then I would charge on a per push at a very high rate.
  3. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

At least he was pleased with your services.

Send him a follow up note. Restate the fact that he's no longer on your plow list. Then state that you may be able to plow his lot, but not garunteed, and the rate will go up, depending on your truck's availability.

This way he may call you if bozo falls out.

4. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

Thats buisness

Thats the way some people do it. What till his (dentist) curb is chewed up and the shrubbs at trashed. He will be on your list (client) again.

J & B Lawncare
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Has happened a couple of times. One association had a new guy move in, build a big house with new road. He wants to buy a truck and plow to do all the association roads. The other residents are resisting, but looks like he's going to win. He won't kick in his share to keep me. Lost another to a parisher who was plowing the minister's house for free. The minister resisted last year and hired me. Looks like the parisher talked him into it again this year. Must be wanting to make sure he gets a spot in Heaven. Just business - no use getting upset about it. There are others out there.
  6. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

We might lose first bid based on price. but if we're professional with a follow-up, we have a chance of winning a good customer based on service.

7. plowed

plowed Senior Member

If he can't afford the dental work, and he does not already have a plow, how's he gonna pay for a plow? You may want to run that by the old dentist/sluth.

Sorry to hear you lost it this way, but glad you turned it around into a positive experience.
  8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

That sucks, but I would'nt be to worked up if I were you. This sort of thing happens in this buiness all the time, and after all you did pick up another account.
  9. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Yah, I did get another account but still, in my area, snow accounts are very difficult to come by and I work my butt off trying to get good accounts. I easily spend more time bidding snow and fretting it than I do landscape jobs that are worth WAY more money.

I suppose I will send him a letter, that's not a bad idea. At least that way, when old wooden teeth doesn't show up, I'll be fresh in his mind and I can charge him more $$$.
  10. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

If I was you I wouldnt get to caught up in the details of this. He may be less then truthfull on his story. Hell he just may have signed with someone cheaper then you and he just didnt want to talk to you about it...Rob

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

that sucks, theres more acounts out there for you like you said you picked one up today. i wont lose sleep over it.
  12. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Be happy you got a new account, you said it yourself thta there is no use getting upset over it. Weather we like it or not, customers have no obligation to stay with a particular contractor. Who they choose is who they choose. If this new guy is no good you may be getting a phone call in the near future. Then the power is in your hands, you can do it and tell him there has been a slight rate increase or you could say "sorry, iam all filled up" if you really feel he was not honest with you. If the dental story is true so be it, but if hes lying, I see where that would be upsetting, if he does not want to admit that hes cheap or be honest with you about service/price or whatever he could have a problem with.
  13. pasto_guy

pasto_guy Member

Sometimes things happen for a reason. I too have had things like this happen. One of my 140.00 dollar a week mowings was given to a tennant of the property. He had to catch up on his rent. (With a push mower, this only lasted for 5 weeks). When I was called back to start mowing again, my price went from 140.00 per week to 165.00. So it will come back to you in one way or another.
  14. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

I traded plowing a small drive-way for lettering on my truck.
  15. norrod

norrod Senior Member

I barter services whenever I can. I never thought about plowing off my dental bill. :)

Accounts come and go. I never take it personally. Not sure why you got angry?

Business is business. Anything else will give you a heart atatck.
  16. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I lost a $100 plow job to a guy who's doing it for $38.50. The lot and sidewalks would take me around an hour with my 8' plow and snowblower. I really do hope gas goes up to $4 this winter, this guy will be long gone.
  17. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Sorry to hear you lost the acct. but I plow for my dentist and get my wifes and my dental work free. Way better deal for me than insurance prices.
  18. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Sorry hot hear you got the shaft man ... since this "stiff" who's working off a dental bill has not got a plow truck I would doubt he has any insurnace. You should have asked the doc if Mister Stiff has any snow plowing and salting insurance, and remind the doc how all this bartering off an old dental bill could turn into a huge extraction, a financial extraction, should God forbid someone get hurt on his property :dizzy:
  19. Get some "grill work" done...work up a $2000 dentist bill, don't pay the Dr. and then you're back in next year. :)