1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Get a back up or not?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by progmc, Nov 1, 2004.

1. progmc

progmc Member

Well heres the deal Ive been plowing for 2 years now and Ive only had 5-6 drives the past two. How ever this year I will have more time and hope to get more. I have a 1987 dodge dakota with a 6 1/2 foot western plow on it. Now I need to decide if I should put a plow on my 1995 gmc 1500. I just cant decide if it will be worth it or not. What do you guys think. Thanks for any help.
    Also I can get a 7 1/2 foot sno way plow for $1000 to $1200 that is two years old with the mount. That is if I can talk my buddy to buy the truck that it is on.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Imagine yourself sitting in your truck, broke down on the way to your next customer. It's 6:00AM and she needs to leave for work at 6:30. What's it worth to be able to grab that second truck and go plow her driveway so she can get out? Is it worth your reputation for reliability? You just answered your own question.

3. progmc

progmc Member

I really understand what your saying the only thing that Im unsure of is if I will get any more jobs or not. I also have a guy that could bail me out if I get in a bind but then again whos to say that when the time comes he will or not. Thanks for the reply I think I will end up putting a plow on the gmc. Also what do you guys think of those sno ways. Is $1000-$1200 a good deal for a couple year old plow?

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Another option would be to have a sub on standby. That way if something happens, they can cover for you. I've got about 6 people ready to help at all times.

5. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Boss is on the right track here. Networking guys, you watch my back I watch yours. Get a group thing going and cover each other. Give your buds the full pay amount too, if they bail you out. When your just getting going its cheaper to help out each other, then have a spare truck sitting. If you have the resources for a backup then do it. But if your betting the farm for this season then networking could be the difference between a profitable season and being in the red.
    Todd

6. Having a back up truck would be nice. Even having subs on standby is a great benefit. However if I were in your shoes, I would make sure that I was running the most dependable rig I could. I'm a GM guy (I don't mean any insult) but the gmc seems that it may be a better choice for plowing. The way this business works, is that if your dependable, reputable and do a good job, your business will grow.

The best plow that you can afford, will be the best for your situation. But you also need to make sure that you will be able to get the replacement parts readily. Whatever money you invest in your equipment will come back tenfold! :drinkup: