1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Generic Western Question??

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Novicejoe, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Novicejoe

Novicejoe Junior Member

Bought an old Western cable plow a few years ago. Since the purchase, it always sucked water from somewhere and the beginning of every winter I needed to change the milky fluid in the resevoir or the cold would cause freezing and the plow wouldn't move.

I changed the fluid in the resevoir the other night and the plow was still sluggish at times on left and right although up and down worked fine. Tonight I decided to remove the quick connects and empty the cylinders also as the brand new ATF without any use of the plow was milky when I removed the motor so I assumed the water was from what was left in the RAMS.

Problem now is that after I put everything back together, moving the lever engages the motor, there's a whir, but nothing at all happens. I am unable to push the plow in one direction by hand but can push it in the other without any resistance. I'm assuming bleeding the cylinder is part of the issue but am having no success (I'm obviously no expert here...just trying to save a few bucks). Prior to me disconnecting the hoses, I couldn't push the plow in either direction by hand so I'm assuming I've screwed something up. The cylinder's are old and there's no bleeder's on them. I'm really not sure what I've messed up. Anyone with any thoughts? Thanks in advance!!!

2. doh

doh Senior Member

I have sunk 1 of my plows to the bottom of the lake, so I know how hard it is to get all the water out of a system.

1, without removing the cylinders off the plow and draining them standing up over night, all the oil will not come out. After sitting for a long period, water does accumulate in the cylinders.

2 It sounds like 1 of your quick couplers is not completely plugged in causing the no side to side movement

3 you do have to bleed the cylinders after draining them, by simply angling the plow left right left etc. At the same time refilling the reservoir.

A little hint After getting upset 1 year I added a couple oz's of gas line deicer and continued plowing with no freeze ups.

3. Novicejoe

Novicejoe Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I put new quick couplers on and now the plow is working. Apparently it helps if you put the motor in the right way :blush2: The problem now is that in the up position, right and left angle are sporadic, sometimes they work fine, sometimes they are sluggish and sometimes the plow just kind of bucks a little. If you keep working the stick eventually it will go. When the plow is in the down position, right and left seem to work fine but raising it is sometimes sluggish but usually pretty good. Any thoughts on this? This thing is starting to drive me crazy:realmad: Thanks in advance.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Make sure your fluid level is OK. Or just raise it high enough so you can angle it when your plowing. My Old Western used to do the same thing. If the fluid level is low your putting most of it into the lift cylinder with the plow up. It then slows down the angle function. Make sure you still have a good ground on your T-Bar controller. If your pump fails to run when you try to function the plow it may be a bad power to pump solenoid.