1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by mikelawtown, Dec 12, 2008.

1. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Hi guys i live in Mass and have had the problems with no power for the last 24hrs and have been thinking about a couple tools i should buy . 1st one is a Generator, looking for one to power just my fridge, lamp and maybe a space heater.not alot of $$ and some input on a good wattage range?...would love to get the house wired for 1 to put outside and just have it there if i ever needed it..not an electrical person here..2nd is a 16inch chainsaw again not expensive just something to have here. I had to borrow a buds and all he had was the polin(polan?) wild thing, looked small but cut a 12inch tree no prob.thanks. also maybe someone will have 1 of these in Mass or NH
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  2. Rangerman

Rangerman Senior Member

As far as a gen nothing less than a honda u cant go wrong. A chain saw u said cheaper but im a sthil man myself i dont know about much else.
  3. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

x2 on both of those. You'll have to go to a honda dealer for the generator, and a stihl dealer for the chainsaw. They might be pricey, but you'll never have to buy another. Honda does make some nice, and very quiet generators. Again, expensive, but well worth the money. i bought a 2500 watt generator and never had to use it. A 5,000 generator is an all around good type. Good for just about anything.
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

x3 on the Honda but I run a Briggs & Straton that cost a third what the Honda cost and it has done very well for me

I prefer Stihl saws but any brand is fine as long as you have somewhrer to take it for service
  5. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

i gotta agree, honda gens' are great, we have 2 of them on our fire trucks. never fail to start on the first pull every time. but they are $$$ i have a 4500w princess auto gen here at the house and it's always worked fine for me. although, it's a little hard to start at times

for saws, i gotta say huskey, never liked the feel of a stihl, but thier every bit as good of a saw
  6. dcl25

dcl25 Member
    from ma

i have a huskey if you need one
    let me know
  7. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

My $.02

Lets see in a perfect world ($$$) a Honda Genset cant be beat in their size range....Hondas are very quite,little vibration,fuel efficient and last a long time with proper care..They also put out the power they are rated for.Some companies list peak power and it is a little misleading...I personally would buy a used Honda over a new store brand...
    As far as the saw ,Sthil,Husky,Johnsered even the Makita(Dolmar) are all excellent saws ,comes down to a local dealer support....
    I personally have an off brand 6000watt genset with a B&S does the job but is no Honda. Will upgrade as funds become available...The 6,000 watt will run the forced hot air furnace,Well pump,water heater,Refer /elec stove and a half dozen sockets all wired into a transfer switch, just flip the switch take your house power off line(So you don't fry anyone working on the wires) start the genset and away you go....Works great no extension cord threw the window etc...
    Warning,Stay away from anything with a Tecumseh engine as they are shutting down production this year...Hard to get warr work and parts if they don't exist anymore...
  8. Tacr2man

Tacr2man Member
    from England

Generator Honda, or Briggs if you are going for anything over 11hp with the OHV engine just as good
    Chainsaw X4 for stihl
  9. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

No opinion on the generators.

But, my opinion on the saw would be a Stihl if you have the cash (x5). However, we didn't have that kind of money when we bought our saw, and we have a Craftsman 18" bar that cost...like $200. We got in on sale though. Had it for 3 or 4 years no problems.
  10. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i have 2 of these and they will run forever......great product

11. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

Oh, someone mentioned briggs.... Don't get it. Theres a difference between a honda generator and a generator with a honda engine. Get the honda generator made by honda. Check out their website.
  12. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

I'm with the crowd on both choices, honda generator and stihl....husky or dolmar would be good choices also, but saws usually depend on who's the quickest and close for service in my book. I have all three saw brands and a small honda genset that I use for everything from the house to the field work (construction mainly). Can't go wrong for the money you'll spend on them.
  13. grasskeepers

grasskeepers Member

YAMAHA all the way. I take this camping all the time runs my micro wave and a/c at the same time. Also it runs around 25- 30 hours on a tank of gas. A couple of my friends at the campground have those handa EU2000's and they have a small tank, it won't run longer then 8 hours. they get filled up before they goto bed and they always run outta gas before there up again in the morning
  14. grasskeepers

grasskeepers Member

oh ya make sure you buy one with an inverter, don't want power surges, don't want fry your tv or computer
  15. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Thats the generator you want. End of discussion.:D

Stihl MS 210 or MS 230 would be a good saw for you.
  16. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

I am going to say Honda also. If you are thinking of running a space heater They make a 3000 watt model, I wouldn't use anything smaller. You would be working it pretty hard. A space heater usually draws around 1500 watts.
  17. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

Good point, but i think many of the honda have them, with the exception of the construction series.
  18. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

I would also look at Robin Subaru Generators.
    These engines are every bit as good if not better than Honda. I have many pieces of equipment with different engines I would definitely recommend either Honda or Robin/Subaru. Stay away from Briggs.

As for Saws The only two brands that I would even consider spending money on Stihl/ Husqvarna I own many of both and they are both great saws. Personal Favorite is a Stihl:)

19. Kybol

Kybol Senior Member
    from Alberta

Also agree on the Honda's, the EU series are nice and quiet. the 3000 is a decent size, has electric start too. Or if you get a smaller one, and find out you need more power you can hook 2 together.

And for the saws I like Husky.
  20. NHCraigT

NHCraigT Member
    from NH

I'm in NH. No Power for 2 days. Came on today. I had my electrician (I'm a GC), hook up my 5K generator to my home system. It ran the whole house with no problems. I had the furnace going, lights on, TV, internet, well pump, fridge, etc.

If you live in the sticks, invest in a home generator. There are alot of homes that are without power and heat, and the temps are going to drop to the teens tonight. Danger of people's pipes bursting.....a generator is not just about comfort.