1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Generator Problem - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by M&M, Dec 13, 2008.

1. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Half of the state of New Hampshire lost power early Saturday AM and one of those people was my friend. He was able to find a new generator Troy-Bilt 8000 watts from Lowes. This one.

http://www.troybilt-gen-pw.com/generators/model.cfm?id=Endeca.444

Well, the motor runs very well but it is not producing power. We have tried many different devices to check for power and nothing works. There are "breakers" on the machine that we have flipped back and forth in all combinations. We checked the wiring harness and still nothing. The next step is to take apart the panel and start messing around with the connections in there but I was hoping someone might have a fix for us.

The whole state is sold out of generators so buying another would require a roughly 5 hour round trip. Any help is appreciated.

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Stupid question, but it most likely has a GFI plug on it (one with a bilt in breaker) make sure that is pushed in as they get overlooked alot.

3. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Dont quote me on this but I had a Honda 3000w unit that had sat for quite along time and was doing the same thing, I had to remove the cover off the alternator and put 12vollts to one of the terminals Ill look around to see if I still have the proceedure

4. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

Although the specs indicate it does not have Automatic Idle Control check to see if it has a switch for one anyway and to see if it is "ON". If on and is "sticking" the engine won't rev up to make useful amps/volts.

Fran

5. SGC08

SGC08 Member

Check the wire where the generator head grounds to the chasis. If the ground wire comes off - no juice. We had this happen once and it took quite a bit of time to find this stupid problem.

6. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Just after I asked this question, I lost cable and internet and just got it back this am. We literally checked everything and decided to bring the generator to a repair shop on Saturday. They looked at it and said they couldn't fix it either. There must be something defective from the factory. We brought it back to Lowe's and another friend got his power back Friday afternoon and were able to use his generator successfully. It annoyes me when people ask questions then disappear so I wanted to give an update as to why I wasn't here. Anyway, the electric companies have about 1/2 the people back on and man, I wish I was a plumber in the next couple of weeks! I heard stories about house temps that were in the low 30's. Idiotic people packed up and left their houses to freeze. Unreal.

7. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Troy -bilt..enough said..I lost power also and when time comes i will be buying a 4-6k watt unit. Cant afford Honda so maybe generac, i saw a 5500 for 749.00 online new but im sure i will have to wait now for one..I have been looking in Georgia for one as my sis is coming up here for xmas. I had a buddy who bought the Homelite from HD and had has his running for 3 days powering his fridge, furnace and 2 lamps...at 599.00 seems good..