1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

General Ultramount Questions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Neil64, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Neil64

Neil64 Member

This is my first season using a Western Ultramount. I previously used a Myer but sold it with the truck. Anyway, this past summer I bought a used 2005 Western Ultramount that had very little. At least it looks that way. I had it professionally installed, removed it and stored in a garage. Everything worked fine.

Preparing for what amounted to be a dusting, I put the plow on the truck. It raised, lowered and angled just fine. The truck was in the garage for 1 hour???? I noticed fluid on the ground. Not a lot but more than 2" diameter. I discovered that the fluid was dripping off from the lift ram rod (rod comes out wet of the cylinder when raised) and ran down the lift cylinder. I know some amount of leakage from the top seal is normal but I want to make sure I don't have a seal that is dry rotted and not sealing correctly. As we only got a dusting, I only used the plow for 10 minutes and did not notice anymore leaks. Still, just wondering.

I had problems getting the plow on and off the truck as I store it in a low garage and can't fit the front of in the garage. So the truck side is lower than the plow side. Does anyone make wheels that replace the shoe stands?

Last, the handheld controller coiled cable is short. Does anyone make an extension rather that having the harness extend away from the dash?

Thanks...

Neil

2. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

They do make carts for the ultra mounts, not sure who though.

You shouldn't be seeing a puddle under your plow at all. You need to replace the seal that's leaking (around my old job, we just replaced the whole cylinder)

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

tighten the gland nut on the lift cylinder a little and see if it stops leaking. to remove it easily hold the down button until the float light goes on. now push the lift cyl all the way down. it will be a lot easier to remove.
    there is an extension cable from western that is about 2.5 feet longer.

4. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Northern Tool sells a cart designed for the UltraMount.

5. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

If you have to repalce the seal follow the directions. Don't lift the nut off the top of the ram, take the ram out and slide it off he bottom. Otherwise when you put it back together the hole for the pin will tear the new seal.

Next time you dismount the plow try this. Put the plow in float and push the ram all the way down. Once you put the feet down, push the light bar towards the truck and step on the foot again while pushing on the light bar. THis will allow you to lift the back of the plow a little and tkae the weight off the recievers.

Once I did this my plow would slide right off and was much easier to put on.

6. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

FWIW,

The controller extension cable is 48" long and Western P/N 61845 .

TOM

7. Neil64

Neil64 Member

Tips

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to investigate the seal today.

8. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

The ultra mount has adjustable feet, check the hight and if you need to raise or lower it there are pins in the feet to raise or lower the stands for correct hieght also take into account ballast you may put in the back

9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Agreed......and if the floor is higher than the ground that the front wheels are sitting on when removing, simply lay a board (or 2) down to roll up on when unhooking.

10. bigblock73

bigblock73 Member

$259.99
    I use 2 furniture dollies and some scrap lumber