1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

General rules for new wheels?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by blakerugg, Dec 10, 2009.

1. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

I plan on getting timbrens and a front leveler kit for my 05 HD. I MAY buy 18" rims and put like 285's on them. Or just new tires. If i buy new rims, however, should i be worried about using them during plowing? I dont do commercial but i still have a commercial grade setup...Alcoa wheels? any specific "rules"??

get what im tryin to ask? lmao.. :dizzy:
  2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I'd just make sure they are rated to hold the weight of the plow and then try not to scrape them on any tall curbs!
  3. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Bigger rims = less rubber to protect them. As mentioned, watch the curb grinding. Otherwise, anything made for an 8-lug should handle the load. Going big on tires will lead to rubbing on the back of the front bumper. Less backspacing on the new rims will make the tires protrude farther from the truck which is nice for appearances, but exaggerates the tire rubbing problem when turning due to the tire swinging forward thanks to the location of the steering pivot point. If you do 285s with stock backspacing you will probably only need to trim the back inch off the plastic air dam to prevent rubbing. I have 265s on aftermarket rims with less backspacing than stock. I had to cut the plastic and it gets within a quarter inch of rubbing the metal part of the bumper..

Don't believe the marketing claims of the guys trying to get hundreds of dollars from you. The only front "leveler kit" you need is either cranking the adjuster bolts or a set of stock keys from a 1500 truck. Send me a PM if you want a set for $20. They are indexed slightly higher than the 2500 keys. You can crank the torsion bolts all the way until they hit the stops without adding any more stress than anything you pay money for. Make sure you turn each side the same number of turns. One bolt bottoms out way before the other, don't go past that point on the other side.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  4. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

thanks for the info. for now ill pass on the keys, but thanks.

for the record, heres my motivation: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2517555/3

obviously its the pics with the bigger tires, do u think he had trouble with those? theyre 295's.
  5. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I suspect he had to trim the back of the bumper to make those work. I couldn't really tell from the pics, but it looks like his new rims have a lot more backspacing than mine so that certainly helped him.
  6. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

ok, and one last question, i know theyre not really practical for plowing but do u think ill be ok (as far as width)? i know u need skinny but i think id prob be ok, again im not a pro.
  7. bersh

bersh Senior Member

There's no way I'd get nice wheels like that for plowing, or even running in winter in general. The absolute worst thing for alloy wheels (next to curbs and accidents) is road salt. If you get them, run them in summer and keep your stock wheels with winter tires on them. Also, for winter skinny will do better than fat in almost all conditions. I run cooper m+s 235-85 on my stock wheels during winter and I can generally go through stuff that I see other trucks with big meat on them struggling in.