1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

General Questions

Discussion in 'Click Plow' started by JamesMoorhead, Dec 14, 2011.

1. JamesMoorhead

JamesMoorhead Member

Post here is you have any questions, or feel free to message me with any comments or concerns. Happy Plowing!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I can't find the part of how much the plow guy is paid.

3. JamesMoorhead

JamesMoorhead Member

Hey GrandView,

Yes, we currently do not have this listed yet. If you would like more information, you can sign up to get the info packet which better describes the process and commissions. Each driveway is different, so the commissions are based on the size of the driveway. It doesn't cost anything to sign up, just go to www.clickplow.com/driver-sign-up and we will send it over right away.

Thanks for the questions, and let us know if you need more info. Happy Plowing!

4. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

5. grandview

6. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Not enough to pay for my $2 million policy even if I was in their service area.

Then again I think they are catering to residentials.
    I am catering to commercials.

7. grandview

What it sounds like if you have some extra time you can do a few onetimers.

8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Though the idea is intriguing I see some major problems for the "Plowing Expert".
    1. The drive is not marked so the driver will be guessing where boundries are.
    2. Number one translates to more damage done to things such as landscapes and structures for the customer, as well as damage to equipment for the "Plowing Expert". Who is held responsible for this damage? ( I know the answer by the way: "Plowing Expert".)
    3. What about people calling back with claims of damage to driveways and to cars parked in the driveway. How is a "Plowing Expert" to know if the damage claimed was pre-existing or freshly done? We have never seen the place.
    4. Is the "Plowing Expert" expected to shovel or snowblow in front of the garage door or doors? What level of detail is expected here. I can already hear the callbacks, "They didn't get to the edges of the drive", "They piled snow in the wrong spot." "Where's our newspaper?( in my town they throw them in the drive.) " They tipped over the garbage cans"...and so on.
    5. Is payment to the "Plowing Expert" withheld if a customer complains about service or the amount of time it took to service?
    6. Once a job is accepted and added to the que, how long do you have to complete the job? You're going to get guys taking jobs and breaking down, then going the next day to finish.
    7. Here's a big one for me: Based on the charges for certain sized drives, there is no provision for larger amounts of snow! I believe you will get few calls for a 1-2" event, but get a storm of 8"+ and you will get a ton of calls. Now I'm having to work longer and use my equipment harder for the same amount of money. I realize I wouldn't have to take any jobs, but what's the point then.
    8. I don't know what the commission per job is, but I would personally have a hard time not making the full amount based on the prices you have listed for different sized drives.

Sorry for the lengthy post guys and girls.:salute:

9. JamesMoorhead

JamesMoorhead Member

Yes, at the moment, we only service residential driveways, and only driveways. We plan on offering bids for commercial, as well as other services like salting, sidewalk, etc. We will keep everybody informed when the changes have been made.

But sounds like you have a nice insurance policy- may be a little overkill for residential :)

10. JamesMoorhead

JamesMoorhead Member

Hey GrandView,

Yes, you are exactly right. We are a one-time booking service. Right now, we only offer customers to book a single snow plow removal. And if you already have a route with customers, you can always use us to fill in the down time. Take as many jobs as you want, whenever you want.

In the near future, we will offer customers the ability to book a seasonal plow service, which will be based on what the drivers in that area will charge. When this change is made, we will let everybody know.

Have you signed up yet GrandView? We would love to send you jobs!

11. JamesMoorhead

JamesMoorhead Member

Hey WiPensFan,

No problem about the long post- we are glad to see you are interested enough to ask these questions. We encourage all drivers and contractors to ask questions to help us learn more about you, and to explain who we are. I will try to answer your questions in order- sorry if I miss one:

1) As for the driveways and not being marked- we collect as much information from the customer about their house and driveway to let the drivers know what to expect. We also offer the jobs to the people that work in that area. So hopefully the drivers have an idea about the driveways already- you may even have plowed them before.

2) Based off that, we also let the customer know that they may have a new driver that is not familiar with their property. So we tell them that there may be a little collateral damage done to their lawn, but there is always that risk anyways. So it's no different than the customers calling out of the blue to have somebody plow them out- they will always have that risk of lawn damage- so we help eliminate that problem. If there is severe damage, then yes, the plow drivers are responsible for that- but that is why you have Insurance to help cover damages. But again, no different than if they just called you out of the blue.

3) This is one of those worse case scenarios. We do encourage our drivers to take a picture of the jobs they are sent for just such an occasion. This will help if the owners say the driveway wasn't done, or if there was damages. Again, this is a case that all plow drivers may encounter even on their own. However, we do have a call center for customers to call and explain the situation. We never just blame the drivers, we investigate each situation first to determine the best possible solution.

4) The drivers are expected to do the same job as if it was one of their clients. We do have a standard of quality that we have to offer our customers, just the same as all business owners including yourself. You are not required to do sidewalks at this time, but if the sidewalk needs to be done, you will be notified when you get the job, and you will be paid an extra commission. We ask the customers to keep their driveways clear from any objects. We warn the customers that if there is anything left in the driveway, either the driveway may not get done, or we are not held responsible for damages that occur, like running over a sled.

5) As for the commissions, the customer will have 24 hours to tell us that the driveways hasn't been done, or if they notice any damages. After this, we (click plow and drivers) are not held responsible for anything they may notice. If we do receive a complaint about a driver, the commission is placed on "Hold" until the problem has been resolved. We will not Hold a commission if the customer says it took too long to come out and plow. We let them know a head of time that there may be a long wait if the weather is severe.

6) We ask that you don't take jobs if you can't get to them within a certain time frame. Some customers may request a "Rush" order, so those will need to be done asap. But our customers know when to expect the jobs to be complete, and ask they please be patient. If you take a job, and for any reason can't complete it, you can then sent the job back for us to re-dispatch it. It's real easy to do, and you won't be penalized for that. We understand trucks break down, or stuff comes up. We just ask that you send the job back as soon as you see you can't complete the job(s).

7) We are in the process of add a surcharge for certain amounts of snow. Basically it will work in increments based on the level of snow. The prices that have been set as of right now will be based on 5" or less. Anything more than that will have an extra charge, and the drivers will get paid an extra commission for that.

8) The commissions are based off of what the current drivers in these areas are currently charging. We understand that some areas may require more money giving the cost of living and requirements for their service. We will be implementing these changes in the near future, and we will adjust the commissions as well. Again, these prices are only for residential homes that have normal size driveways.

I hope that we have answered all your questions. We are glad that you did ask these questions as others may have wondered the same things. That is why we wanted to be apart of Plow site so you can ask these questions. Feel free to keep posting. We want to know what you think. Happy Plowing!

12. grandview

I'm in Buffalo,your a little out of my area.

13. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping Senior Member

What is your snow plowing business experience besides "click plow"?

14. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

James@ Click Plow, thank you for addressing my questions and concerns.

15. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

No offense to "Click Plow", but I think they will get most of the beer money plowers or the I need extra cash in the winter crowd. Those guys won't need to work to find customers and they won't have to worry about building the best relationship with the customer. The customers will be Click Plow's and not theirs.

What's to keep the real professional plower from using this to find new customers of their own?

With that said, the concept is certainly interesting. I tried three zip codes for areas you have listed as serving, but the website said not available for all three.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  16. JamesMoorhead

JamesMoorhead Member

Hello,

Thank you for asking a question. We have several years experience with snow removal equipment and accessories, and a few years in actual snow removal. That is why we want to hear from the drivers as much as possible to help this benefit everybody. So if you have a suggestion, or any comments, we would love to hear them. Happy Plowing!!

17. JamesMoorhead

JamesMoorhead Member

Oh sorry, but we plan on getting to your area soon. Let us know if you want to speed the process up Thumbs Up

Happy Plowing!

18. JamesMoorhead

JamesMoorhead Member

No problem. Let us know if we can help! Happy Plowing!

19. JamesMoorhead

JamesMoorhead Member

Hey Banksy,

We do appreciate your questions and concerns, and don't worry, we have thick skin so no offense taken. You are sort of correct. The guys that need beer money and extra cash in the winter time are always welcome to sign up, as well as the seasoned guys. We do still want all drivers to treat each customer as their own, but yes, they are customers that we booked.

As for the real professional guys, there is nothing stopping them from obtaining new customers. We don't prevent anybody from getting customers, and we don't want to take anybodies customers. We are here for the people that either don't normally hire drivers, or don't know where else to look. Or maybe a driver can't make it out to the persons house for a while, but the customer needs it done right away, they can simply book a single plow job. They can still remain your customer for the rest of the season, we can just be your backup.

And yes, right now, only 1 zipcode works because we have not opened this year to customers. We will not open until there is snow in the forecast since we are only serving West Michigan at the moment. We will be opening up more areas each week, so feel free to check back with us.

So hopefully you have a better understanding on what we do. We are not here to take food off the table, but just the opposite. If you just moved into the area, and want some quick jobs until you build your client base, then we can help. If you don't want to find jobs, and just want to use us that great too! Either way, our goal is to move snow, keep drivers happy, and keep customers happy.

Let us know if you have more questions. We want this thread to be plowsites longest Thumbs Up

Happy Plowing!!

20. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Ok, cool. Thanks for the explanation. I can see how somebody might always clear their own drive, but need it done while on vacation or they're down with a broken leg or whatever.