1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

general plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sp33zero, Mar 2, 2002.

1. sp33zero

sp33zero Junior Member
    from chicago

i'm pretty much new to plowing. my dad owns a chevy silverado and a western plow, which he said i can use whenever i want to go do any random jobs that might come up or to plow a friend or twos driveway. i was wondering how exactly you are supposed to plow a driveway or a parking lot. I have a general idea i think, but i could be wrong in my assumptions, so how do i go about driveways and parking lots? thanx in advance for any info!:confused:
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

sp33zero - first, Welcome to PlowSite. The winter's pretty much over, so you've got plenty of time to get ready for next winter. For the basics, go to the top of this page and click on "Snowplowing Contractor's Network". Then scroll down to the section titled "Diagrams...". This will give you an idea of two general residential layouts. Planning is the key - you have to know what's under what you're plowing or you're liable to break something, destroy the lawn or flowerbeds etc. Up here, we have to be careful of running over wellheads Also plan where you're going to stack the snow. Trying to push too much will get you stuck and then you're in a real bind. Push the first few snows back far enough to allow for more the rest of the winter - too many don't and get closed in. This was one of the best pieces of advise I got here. I'd suggest spending the first winter plowing your own driveway and maybe one or two of your good friends'. If you haven't already, learn about backdragging (do a "search"). If you're going to be doing parking lots or other peoples' drives, check into insurance (Commercial Vehicle and General Liability).

And stick around PlowSite. You'll be surprised how much you learn over the next 6-7 months.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2002
  3. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

While you are there ( Snowplow contractors) you should look into buying chuck's snowplow handbook as well.
  4. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Another very good source of plowing information is the sima plow operators training video. It's a little expensive, but if your really new to plowing, it's worth every penny in my opinion. Here's a link to their website http://shop.sima.org/shopsite/simaorg/product6.html you can check out the video, and buy it on line if your interested.
  5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

sp33zero - welcome to our "home"! In addition to the advice already posted, it can be helpful to have photos of the properties you will be plowing so you know what/where the obstacles are - it is easy to forget at 3:00 am...................

Parking lots - each one is generally unique, depending on how they are laid out some may be best handled by having different areas to pile the snow. Especially on a l-o-n-g lot, this is more efficient than trying to push it all to the back. This is something you need to determine for each lot.

Plowing for hire? Definitely look into the insurance situation. Both for the slip-and-fall lawsuit factor, and working around things like:

price tag.jpg
  6. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Got to www.bossplow.com and click on the plowing tips icon. This will tell you how to do everything.
  7. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

75 is right about the insurance--do not assume that because "this truck's insured, here's the insurance card right here in the glove box", that you're insured for any damage you do while plowing snow, particularly if somebody's paying you to do it. Insurance companies want paid for the risks they're insuring, and they think (rightly) that plowing is riskier than driving to the grocery store.
  8. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Read that price sticker on that thing. One of reason why insurance is a must.